• In the Spotlight:

My 7 month old will not eat solids!

My little Amora will only drink formula! She is actually 4 pounds underweight for her age as well. I have tried all types of infant cereal, jar fruits & vegetables, the dinners, I even tried stage 3 food to see if it was the texture. She's not even interested in table food. I've tried boiling & mashing potaoes, sweet potato, carrots but he wont eat anything!! The Drs. just tell me to keep trying but still no luck and I'm getting worried now that it's interfering w her weight.

MomToFour247

Asked by MomToFour247 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's teething that might be the reason. Babies don't actually need solids until 1 year so before that it's basically just practicing.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i think she will be ok if she starts by like 9 months or so im surprised the dr even said to try this young mine said to leave it alone till 12 months but my girl went straight to adult food around 7 months try that too my girl was eating popcorn shrimp at 12 months so she may just make the jump like that
    lynnspink

Answer by lynnspink at 12:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Try the gerber graduates finger foods for beginners (Kaylee eats the "Biter Biscuits" and the "Apple Wagon Wheels").

They are kinda messy, lol, so beware, but I swear your baby will eat it!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• she doesnt have teeth or even have any practice of gumming food because she refuses to eat. You dont think she would choke on the gerber grad food?
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Foods are just for practice now anyway... it's more important she drinks her formula anyway. And her formula has more calories for weight gain also. She can be formula fed for a year.
    I would just keep trying from time to time and see if she is interested.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Thank you all. I feel so much better.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The formula is the important thing for the first year, and it's where she'll get the bulk of the necessary nutrients even if she was eating solids. Until she gets off the formula, there's no reason to try super hard to replace those nutrients with food. If she's not ready for solids yet, then there's no hurry to force her, just keep offering it to her until she is ready. Same with table foods when she gets there.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The reason why I suggested the Gerber Grads Finger foods (probably the Biter Biscuits more so than the wagon wheels now that I think about it) is because they are super thick, won't break off, and your baby only gets a little "mush" in her mouth, no real pieces of anything. They are MADE for babies that are learning to gum things (it says so on the box! lol)

If she sticks toys in her mouth and chews, then she has had practice at gumming things.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009