My baby is 3 months old. I heard that tummy time is important for the development of baby. I tried to put my baby on his stomach one hour after he eats, he cries and gets very fussy, how did you get your baby to do tummy time?

thecat3

Asked by thecat3 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just work at it a little more each day. When a baby sleeps on its back, it has to get used to being on its tummy at first....

Be down with him, have toys in front of him to encourage him to hold himself up a bit...it will come with time...no major rush, though...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Do it for short periods multiple times a day until he gets used to it. Make sure he's entertained. If he's not interested in toys yet then get down and make faces and silly noises.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just keep putting him on his stomach, 10 minutes per day is sufficient , even in 2-3 seperate intervals, if he fusses turn him over or pick him up and try again later, eventually he'll enjoy it.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i just put him on his tummy for short incraments at first and longer once he got used to it but since he couldnt lift himself right away it made him happier if i was laying down there with him playing too.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Another way to help with tummy time is, if you are laying on the couch, lay him on your chest (on his tummy). He will be trying to look at you, in return strengthening the same group of muscles that he would be on the floor, but you will find that he will be a lot less opposed to doing it this way.

We did this with Kaylee, and we also had tummy time on the floor with her. 5-10 minutes at a time, even just once a day is great :)

Just wait until he starts trying to roll over, and you don't know if he wants on his tummy or back because he will cry no matter what out of frustration!! lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• try only a half an hour at a time.In that time play with him.
    ccthatsme

Answer by ccthatsme at 12:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My twins HATED tummy time.  What I would do was put them on a colorful blanket with some toys.  I would also lie on my tummy with them and make a game of it. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son hated tummy time at the same age also. I just put him down every couple of days... for only a minute or two. He would scream his head off... be he did it anyway. I would get down with him and try to distract him with toys. He learned how to roll over this way! Throwing a fit!
    Then one day he didn't mind it anymore!
    Just just try for a couple of minutes now and then and he will probably learn to like it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son would not stay on his stomach he would freak out. They suggested 10 minutes a day so i did like 10 one minute sessions and sometimes he wouldn't last that long. But he Developed fine and is actually very advanced so dont worry about it. just keep offering the opportunity and your baby will do it when he/ or she is ready :)
    MattysMommy143

Answer by MattysMommy143 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The only way my son would tolerate tummy time was if he was lying on my chest, which is fine and works just as well (and your face may be more motivation than some toys). The important thing is to get him to lift his head up at first and strengthen the neck muscles at first, which he'll do to look around whether he's on you or on the floor. Then it's the arm, chest, and back muscles from the mini baby push-ups. So anything you can think of to get those muscles going is fine, whether on the floor, on you, with a pillow under his chest, whatever.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009