How can men stop spreading HPV ?

One question on a blog got me thinking...... Women can be tested for HPV but men are not tested. The only way they know if they got it is if they get genital warts... Men should be tested... I think thats the only way we can bring these numbers down. One out of two sexual partners have HPV. Men give women a hard time about this but women are the ones who try to take care of it and we suffer the greatest consequences...

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 12:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• DH and I were virgins when we got married. worked for us, no STD's
    Anonymous

• I agree with you all the way. Its not like HPV picks just women. We get it from the guy.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Okay anon... I was married and my x husband gave me genital warts which cleared up later .... Not everyone is as lucky as you...
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 12:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Men won't get tested because there are basically no consequences for being a carrier (of course unless they are afflicted with genital warts). If there is no consequence for them then they see no need to control the problem. I think part of the problem is that the only public attention given to HPV is from the pharmaceutical companies who are just doing it to push a drug. That drug is not for men. If there was more public attention placed on the reality that HPV affects both men and women then men might be more apt to take the condition seriously.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's sad that it's this way..... I wish we could do something about it...
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 12:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Wear a Condom
    katandtysmom

Answer by katandtysmom at 1:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• sillyt: Men cannot get tested, because there is no test designed for men. It's really that simple. Men are not the only ones who pass the virus either. They get it from women too. Also, there are currently studies underway to see if the vaccine will be safe and effective in men as well as women. It was developed specifically for cervical cancer, the main (but certainly not sole) cause of which is the HPV virus. It was not developed for men.

As for the OP's question: The only way to prevent passing it for certain is to not have sex. Period. Condoms don't cover the complete area affected by HPV, so they cannot prevent it completely. Again, men cannot be tested, because there is no test for men at this time. While there is no cure, most peoples bodies will eventually fight the virus off (for most women, within 2 years).
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I know there is not a test for men... i wish there was
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 2:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• jespeach: That's interesting. I actually wasn't aware that there wasn't a test for men. I did some reading on it but not much. I'm glad this is something that they are still looking into. As for the virus being spread in both directions I certainly hadn't meant to imply that it is only spread because men are not being tested. Believe me when I say I'm no man-hater. It is something that should concern everyone. If more women were tested and a test could be developed for men then maybe it is something that could be controlled in time. It's all about awareness. From the sounds of it I need to make myself a little more aware of it as well. Thanks for the info.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009