Has anyone ever done babysitting? Question!

I was laid of a rinky dink waitressing job that gave me not hours, plus it was hard having someone watch my seven month old son. My mom did this when I was little and I'm interested so that I can spend time with my son and not have to worry about where he'll be. Is it worth it? My friend told me its stupid but I don't. Whenever my mom watched kids, I'd always have someone to play with. I think it would help my son get used to having other kids/people around.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• if u r comfortable doing it go for it
    but u cant call in sick thats the only thing i didnt like about it
    lynnspink

Answer by lynnspink at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I actually babysit a little girl the same age as my son. Not only do I get some extra cash and get to stay home with my son, but he has another baby to play with. I say go for it, but it also depends on how much you need to make. For me it's just supplementing my dh's income.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sure having a home based babysitting service CAN be a win-win situation...make money AND stay home with your child. BUT, you either need to keep it small and low-key (offering to watch children for family and friends only for a fee = "under the table") OR, if you want to MAKE money, you will need to register with your state's childcare certification agency, get a business license, and meet all of the other requirements for an in home day care center.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• When I lost my sitter & couldn't afford any other one, I started babysitting. My kids were about 6 months old and 2 1/2 years old at the time. I began watching my friend's two kids who were of about the same age (she used the same sitter as me before this). I wanted to be able to be at home with my kids so it was very nice to be able to do so. I babysat until my oldest and my friend's oldest went off to kindergarten (they go to different schools so I had to quit). There are pros & cons. The greatest thing was being home with my kids, but my days were very long & I couldn't really go and do things during the day because I had 2 extra kids. I am currently a stay-at-home mom & college student. Being at home with my kids & nobody else's kids is much different and better. As with any job though, there are pros & cons. Overall, I'm glad that I did it.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It is hard but if you feel that it is something that you want to do, then go for it! I babysat my niece for a while and my son did like it because he had his cousin there to play with, it was very stressfull at times. I couldn't go to the grocery store or anywhere else. Like the other moms said, there are pros and cons, it just wasn't for me.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 3:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I loved kids, so I thought this was a great idea myself. Until I started to do it. Taking my own kid to the doctor was hard to do when parents wouldn't understand that I didn't have a vehicle to take all the kids around in. Plus, half the time they wouldn't leave car seats if I could. Also, you NEVER get a day off. Not even if you are sick. And the kids were usually okay, but the parents-OUCH! Sometimes they didn't pay-o-I'll have the money next week, only to write a check that would bounce seven days later. And their kids never do anything wrong...But go for it. Maybe your luck would be better than mine. I had a great baby sitter when I was a kid..not a day care.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 2:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009