What do you moms think about the 6 year old in VA that drove to school by himself?

It is on CNN.COM

hollinshead

Asked by hollinshead at 12:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think that kid was determined to get to school, i think it is cute, and i would absoultly kill my kids if they tried anything like that
    i also want to know why mom was asleep and where was dad
    i think dad was at work and if he was dad shouldn't get charged with anything
    mom should have been awake for her kids getting of to school!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I just watched the video. "There is still a woman disturbed and dealing with what she saw." Give me a break. I don't find it disturbing at all and I don't understand why this child is in protective custody either. He snuck back into his home and took the keys and the car. The parents thought he was on the school bus on his way to school. If it were a 13 year old he would have gotten arrested but never taken away from his parents. Good grief. This kid was obviously a take charge kind of kid and he wanted to get to school.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I heard he didn't actually make it that far!

It's pathetic that mom wasn't paying attention...but I guess, it's just a sign of the times!
    Anonymous

• Where was this child's supervision?  I did not hear of this lucky no one got hurt!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• it said they were all getting ready in the morning and Mom was helping another child look for shoes when this one took the keys and left. I am under the impression they were all running behind as the 6 yo claimed he missed his bus and wanted to get to school asap.

I have to admit I am impressed by this kid's ambition. He made it 8 1/2 miles!!!!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I like his motivation to get an education.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I thought it a bit strange that the kid would go that far to make sure he got himself to school. I questioned what he thought would happen if his parents found out he missed the bus. Then I questioned why he didn't wake his mother, like most kids would do. Was she 'out of it', I mean, was she simply sleeping, or something else. To me, a stable kid would have woke his mother up-and either he was afraid of waking her, or she was unable to be woken up. It all sounds kind of bazaar, so I think something was going on with the parents (mother?) that shouldn't have been.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 2:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think there is a lot more going on than the mom simply sleeping late. The dad was under court order to not leave the children alone with only the mom -- obviously she has some kind of issue that makes her an incompetent caretaker. The boy was determined to get to school, at least in part, because that's where he gets his breakfast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/01/07/ST2009010701921.html
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 1:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2009