I'm a day care provider and I have a parent that brings their child anywhere from 7a to 10a and leaves her until I close at 6p even though the dad gets out of work at 2p. I feel taken advantage of. Is it a legitimate feeling or am I just putting too much into it because the parent is my friend. Help!

I'm thinking of revising my contract to make a full day 9hrs unless other arrangements are made, but then she may continue to expect me to make exceptions for her. It is much easier having strangers children=)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• If she is paying you and paying you on time, and you know that the baby will be there until 6pm, then that part should not worry you (regardless of knowing the family and knowing that the dad is already home).

The part that I would talk to her about would be the drop off time, and let her know that she is really messing with your routine and that the other kids are all there by "X" time, and you would really appreciate it if she could choose a time and stick with it. Let her know that there is a difference in business and friendship, and that regardless of your friendship, you are running a business, and she needs to treat you (during these hours) as such.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That's tough. Does she pay the same rate as everyone else? I say if she is paying for it then it isn't a problem. If it really bothers you then you should let her know that she needs to have her child picked up once one of them are out of work. That isn't always how it works though.. people use daycare for many other reasons than just to go to work. I think if you are being paid then you are not being taken advantage of.. jmo.
    Anonymous

• well if the time is being paid for it is there to be used in my opinion if she was not ur friend u would not know when they got off
    i would run errands and stuff before picking up my girl when she was in daycare if im paying for the full day then why not use it
    also my girls dad would never pick her up he left all that to me
    if it is that big a deal go to an hourly rate
    good luck hope it works out
    lynnspink

Answer by lynnspink at 12:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't see the problem. If you are getting paid that's all that matters. If you don't want to watch this child, then tell her she needs to find another sitter.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It would only be taking advantage of you if she wasn't paying you or she was leaving her child beyond your normal daycare hours. Many parents leave their kids at daycare after they get off work so they can get things done or even just to take a nap.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you're being paid then no. If she's following her contract then no.
    Anonymous

• i say as long you are being paid and she is following all the rules in the contract you arent being taken advantage of. you can always revise the contract if you dont like the way it is set up.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'm a childcare provider and it's interesting that everyone says as long as you're being paid. It's not always about the money, it's the principal. I know that parents do other things besides work when I'm keeping their child so when they register, I go according to whomever registered the child. If the mom registered the child, then I go by her work schedule and vice versa. If her work hours are from 7-6 then fine if not, then explain to her that you operate according to her work schedule so that she isn't taking advantage of you. If she's a true friend she'll understand.
    need2rest71

Answer by need2rest71 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I used to do home daycare and I charged a specific rate for specific hours, plus penalties for overtime (being late for pick up). It didn't matter if I knew the people or not, they were paying to watch their child , and how they chose to use that time was their business. So, if all of your other children's parents would pay the same amount for the same amount of time, then you are not being taken advantage of. If you do decide to change your rates, then you must do it for ALL of your clients, not just the friend, and give them sufficient notice in writing that you are changing your hours or how much you charge.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is in day care from approx 8 am until approx 6 pm every day. most days it is slight more than 10 hours that she is there. It doesn't matter when dad leaves work, I usually pick her up. Sometimes daddy does, but that doesn't really affect the day care any. The day care is open from 6:30 - 6:30. I am welcome to drop my duaghter off and pick up any time between those times. If your contract just says hours of operation not a time per day, then she is not cheating you. It is none of your business if the father is home or not while you are watching her.
    Anonymous