What meds are safe to take for the flu while breastfeeding?

I know I most likely have the flu...fever, body aches, sore throat, etc. Would it be safe to take Theraflu or any of the OTC meds? Also, I am going to the doc this afternoon so I am wondering what is okay for them to give me.

jeng1980

Asked by jeng1980 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• www.kellymom.com has some great natural remedies and also has a list of the safe drugs and tells you what the risks are :) I would even check it against your docs advice or go in there with the list of safe ones and see which he also recommends.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Tell them you're breastfeeding and they'll tell what you can take while nursing. Hope you feel better soon.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• call ur dr they usually have a list
    lynnspink

Answer by lynnspink at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I second the kellymom.com website... wonderful! Plus talk to your doctor about it. A lot of times things are safe to take while breastfeeding, but you just don't want to over do it. I'd stay on the safe side and go for more natural remedies and still talk to your doctor about your options. Take care and hope you feel better soon!
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009