Help I can not get my two year old off the breast!

I am not he type of person to let him cry it out. He outlasts me so I know that will not work. I was wondering if there is anything I can put on my breast to make it taste terrible. Like thumb sucking solution. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Nieni

Asked by Nieni at 1:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it would be best for both of you just to let him CIO .
    Anonymous

• i was told spicy mustard works
    Isaiah431

Answer by Isaiah431 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• slowly ween him down let him continue his before bedtime nursing and cut the other times down to to like 10 minutes for a few days, then 5 minutes, then start skipping one or two a day until its just before bed... and start cutting it down a few minutes a time (obviously you'll have to adjust according to how often and how long you are nursing now, but you get the idea i'm sure)
    Anonymous

• My son is 22 mo. and still nurses at night (mostly.) We've been able to cut back gradually - offer juice or water 1st. (unfortunately, I fall into the negotiating trap - take 2 sips of water 1st, then you can have mommy.... when he's thirsty the water works, when he needs comfort it doesn't)
    Had to adjust the bedtime routine too. added about half an hour of "cuddle time" either reading books together or watching muppets... its slow going. What gets me it that he's already spent the night at grandma's (without me for over 24 hrs) so I know we can move on...
    kam263

Answer by kam263 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter nursed until she was 2 as well. My daughter went to stay with her grandma for the weekend (no nursing and she did just fine) and I decided to stop nursing then. When she got back I rubbed a lemon on my nipples. When she wanted to nurse and tasted the lemon she stopped and looked at me and I told her the milk went bad. That' was all it took- she didn't want it after that.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 3:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You don't want to make it a traumatic event, like spicy mustard, that can harm your relationship. Try and take it slow elimination one nursing session a week (starting with the morning session). Make sure that you give him lots of cuddles and I love yous. Keep your self's busy so that it is not as easy for him to ask (playdough, blocks, playing outside, etc.).
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009