What kind of dog should we look for?

We had to put down our yellow lab a few months back because of cancer. He was 12 years old and a wonderful pet. So, now, we are ready to get another dog. I don't want a small dog and would prefer one who does not shed so much. . . I know that labs are a great breed and he was great with my son, who is now 4 years old.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what breed we should look for?

mommy010605

Asked by mommy010605 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pets

• We have a Border Collie that is great with family and kids. BUT the down fall is that they do shed some.

I'm sorry for the loss of your family pet. I wish you the best in finding the appropriate breed. I hope your next family friend gives you all the love and joy your looking for.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have always had labs, heh, so I am bias and say get another one! But maybe a different kind (I am particular to Black Labs) to help not confuse the baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I say look into a lab rescue group.That way you can get maybe a dog alredy potty trained and they will know about the dog, plus you are helping a pet in need.alot of dogs turned in to shelters and resuce places are great dogs who just had owners who did not understand the care they took.Good luck!I'd love to hear what you get.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I am a LAB lover too! I have heard that Laborpoodles do not shed much and are similar to labs in their demeanor. They are large.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear about your pet. We had to put down our yellow lab last January 6 because of cancer too so I know how difficult it is. We adopted another yellow lab in May. She is more the size of the first yellow lab we had. Each of the 3 yellow labs that we had were a mix of different breeds (yellow lab/cocker spaniel, golden labrador retriever, we don't know the mix of our current dog), but all of them looked like yellow labs and they have all been wonderful dogs. Unfortunately, they all shed a lot, but I am still partial to labs because of how great they are with kids.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have a beagle/shepherd mix. I am sure those are hard to find...........however, I do recommend a beagle........they aren't huge, but they aren't small and they have short hair and don't shed so much and they are incredibly loving!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Labs, or look into Airedale rescues, they are great dogs!!! My inlaws all have them (5 between two families) and they are great with kids.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• check your local shelters/animal control.....lots of fabulous dogs are there waiting for a family if they aren't euthanized first.
    Anonymous

• Labradoodlle is a good way to go. They are really good dogs and really good looking. Great qualities of the lab and the no shed of the poodle.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i have a pure bred chocolate lab. he is 6 months old and is very good with my 10 month old son. i've had a few labs when i was growing up and i had a golden retriever
    usmcwife2007145

Answer by usmcwife2007145 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009