Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have primary residential custody of my kids 14 and 9 and live in Florida..

my ex lives in Boston and wants them to come there for summer vacation. His custody rights are equal to mine except for where they live. Do I have to let them go?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • I would say yes. If there is concern that he won't return them, you may be able to convince the judge to not let them leave the state.

    Answer by KaroGreenly at 3:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

  • What is your fear about them going? Is it that he may not return them? Talk to local authorities, a lawyer, a judge, someone who knows how to prepare for that and what to do in the event of that. Unless there is another fear (emotional/mental/physical harm), I say, let them go. They deserve to know him, unless you think he will harm them.

    Answer by hallen08 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

  • I believe the answer is yes, unless you go back to the court and add a modification to the existing custody agreement. I was once on the other end of this, my son lived in fl with his dad and I was in Texas, and we had shared custody at that time, his dad was also concerned about letting him go to texas for the summer with me, but he eventually got use to it when he knew I wasn't pulling anything stupid... so it really depends on what is up with your ex husband, maybe you should see a lawyers advice on it and see what could be done to modify the current custody agreement and include the whole living out of state deal.

    Answer by BreakingFree at 4:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.