Is it normal for a grandma to feel more attachment/love towards her daughter's child vs her son's child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• It is who the parent is or who the child is? I know I have stronger feelings for certain grandkids but it's over the child him/herself more so than who created him/her. If you find it's over the parent you might want to make sure you show a bit more attention to the one who might feel slighted if you don't. Grandparents love is just as important as a parent's love. It's ok to feel how you feel, just don't let the child know.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• It seems that way sometimes. I guess its because of the role of the mother/daughter bond. I know with my MIL she is closer to her daughter and her kids than with her son's wife, but also her son's wife has her own mom to be close to. I'm kinda anxious to see how it'll play out though since I am currently pregnant with her oldest son's babies(twins) and my parents aren't here to help us out.
    Anonymous

• I personally feel that it all depends on the parents. For instance, it bothers my brother that my mom does more with my kids. Well, I bring my kids around and she babysits them for me. Not my fault or hers....introduce your kids to their grandparents for *** sake.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I think there is a pull more towards the first born grandchild. It's that way in my family anyway.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• grandparents frequently play favorites. i know. i was the favorite. and she does it wiht my kids too. just try to not let hte kids know. it causes problems. beleive me. with the kids, it causes problems. they notice these things.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My mom is definately closer to my kids, but we have a better relationship then my siblings. Also she sees my kids more often so she knows them better.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:01 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My mom favors my brother's children more than mine. My 3 year old is starting to notice this..as he calls them "her kids". Thankfully he as another grandma who gives him attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2008