What a good way to get a dog ready for a new baby?

I have a puppy about 9 months old he is my other lil baby. Whats a good way to get him ready for the new baby ?

Terry01

Asked by Terry01 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Pets

• When our son was born, our dog was much older; HOWEVER, my husband took our son's hat and a blanket from the hospital when he went to let our dog out the day our son was born. He held the items and let our dog smell them. When we brought our son home, the first thing our dog did was give him a little lick on the cheek.

Dogs are smart. I am sure yours' knows that you are pregnant (or at least different in some way). I think pets just "KNOW" that certain people (old or new) BELONG in their family. Good luck!
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 1:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• you can carry a baby around to get the dog use to the idea of having a baby around..and you can also have crying sounds playing so he can hear it and get use to it
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 2:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had a puppy at my mom's place when my first one was born. we weren't sure how he'd deal with the baby.. he was pretty good. we let him smell the clean diaper, the baby blanket and some other things. This way he was used to the smell of NEW things. once he was familiar with these things we didn't have to worry about him going and sniffing the baby and getting super excited about everything once my daughter came home. But mostly he was scared of her when she cried because seh was so loud(considering the fact that she was small). He stayed away from her but close to us because he was used to us.
    simran4god

Answer by simran4god at 2:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• btw.. good luck!!! :)
    simran4god

• We were very worried about bringing our baby home.When i went in and had the baby my mom brought home the little hat he was wearing for the dog to smell. when we came home me and my hubby were arguing about how to introduce the dog to our son when my mom was like "guys! look" and sadie(our dog) was licking down the baby and wagging her tail. She took to him right away and now they are bestfriends he is 10mos and the dog goes everywhere he is! Another important thing we did was involve the dog, both before and after we didnt keep her out of the nursery, she was apart of everything. putting the babyshower gifts away, decorating the nursery, when he came home she layed down next to the rocker when i fed the baby and i sang to them both.Just dont push your puppy away and she wont have any reason to be jealous or aggresive. Your dog loves you and your baby is a part of you :)
    MattysMommy143

Answer by MattysMommy143 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my husband brought home blankets from the hospital to get them used to the smell. He laid the blankets in their beds. Theyre still crazy tho so who knows if it helped
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• One must remember first that the family companion is also a baby in the house. I suggest letting the dog become familiar with the baby's room, equipment etc prior to baby coming home. If you are the type of family that dotes on your companion cut back gradually before the baby arrives. Once baby is born, have husband bring home a blanket that has been on your baby. It will be filled with the scent of your new addition. Once home do not scold your dog for being curious. Dogs are pack members and the new baby is foreign and sometimes perceived as a threat. Never leave your dog unattended around your new baby, no matter how good he may seem. As long as you remember to be fair and exercise good common sense, things should go smoothly for your family. Hope this helps and good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 10:36 AM on Jan. 8, 2009