How can I encourage my 16 year old daughter to wake up and smell the education?1

my 16 year old who lives with her father, has lost interest in school. I've tried almost everything in the book to wake her up to the real world. She seems more interested in her looks, boys and what's going on in the entertainment world. Should I step back and let her learn the hard way, or continue to push and prays that she wakes up???

need2rest71

Asked by need2rest71 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I'd keep up the praying that she wakes up. I'd also talk to the school counselors and see if there is anything going on at school that you're unaware of as to why she has changed. Same as to her friends, has she changed groups of friends that she is spending more of her time with? Other than that, it's the lovely teen years!!! Boys, looks, boys, looks....... Hang in there maybe she'll figure it out soon enough.
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL FOR A 16 YESAR OLD TO HAVE THESE INTERESTS. WAS SHE A GOOD STUDENT BEFORE THIS?? I WOULD CONTINUE TO PUSH, BECAUSE AN EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, TRY INCENTIVES, LIKE $ REWARDS FOR GOOD GRADES OR REWARD OF SOME OTHER KIND, SOMETHING SHE WANTS BAD. I HAVE BEEN THERE WERE YOU ARE AND I KNOW THESE ARE VERY DIFFICULT YEARS BUT DON'T GIIVE UP ON HER.

Answer by older at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I noticed around the 6th grade that she was losing interest. She was concerned about the girls teasing her (she's beautiful) so it kinda went downhill from there. I've talked to the school counselors, offered money and other incentives but so far it hasn't worked.
    need2rest71

Answer by need2rest71 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well you could push her till you snap... She could push you till she snaps... She is 16, take her to the shity part of town ans say ok get out, you think you know it all.. Let her see where she could end up... Have her take a poll at school and at walMart on how much money and what ppl do to get it... Google stuff, Im sorry i dont know what you are going through but i would lay down the law, im affraid my boys will go up to be thugs all the time.. Im just trying to get my oldest who is 5 to see what the real world is all about not what his "super fun, no job, no teeth, skank" dad tells him...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• girl, I have laid into her and laid down the law. She is very stubborn which is why I''m leaning on her finding out the hard way when graduation is around the corner. Her father isn't helping by not telling me what's going on at the school. I'm tempted to bring her back to chicago if she doesn't get it together. I'm kinda on the "not on my watch" thing with her not graduating on time.
    need2rest71

Answer by need2rest71 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Since she lives with her father, your hands are tied. But what I'd do is make sure she gets a job asap. It's a pretty humbling experience to find out that all the "cool" retail stores won't hire you because you have no experience. She'll learn fast that everybody outside her home views her much more critically and they think she's highly valuable... to flip burgers. Then after about 2 months of flipping burgers she'll know she sure as heck doesn't like doing that. Then she can try again at retail, but that's still being bossed around by a manager she won't respect. Hopefully by 6 months to a year she'll know that the only way UP is with an education. Chances are slim to none that you can get Dad on board, maybe you could try convincing her to apply at the mall after you remind her how great it would be to have her own cash.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 4:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• When you figure it out let me know. My 15yo son is having issues in school too.
    ChefBoyRDee

Answer by ChefBoyRDee at 7:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009