If you were raised Catholic you will know this answer?

If you have been sick for a very long time and now need Dialysis, but it will only give you about 6 months to a year longer to live. If you refused the treatment, would that be considered suicide?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NO I dont think it would be. My grandmother raised my mom, her sibs, me and other grandchildren in the Catholic Church. She had a stroke in 2002 and she was pretty devout. She had her final wishes on paper and said that she didnt want to be kept alive by machine. She felt that if God had a plan then who was she to get in the way of his plan? Not to mention being a vegetable wasnt her idea of living a life. I think if you choose not to have medical help and it is only going to extend your life very shortly then it isnt suicide.

Answer by gemgem at 1:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I consider suicide the act of killing yourself in an UNNATURAL way. Allowing ones self to die as a result of natural causes is not suicide.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't believe that Catholics view withholding medical care to prolong life for the terminally ill to be suicide, though they do view more active euthanasia to be murder/suicide. My grandfather was Catholic and when he was dying of cancer he hit a point where his doctor told him that the chemo was doing him no good and would not prolong his life more than another few months. He decided at that point to stop chemo and to let nature take it's course. In his last hours he did receive the Last Rites- presumably the priest did not feel he was 'commiting suicide' by virtue of not taking every single possible medical option to it's utmost before deciding it was his time to go. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was raised catholic but we had NO spiritual walk. I suggest you should seek advice with a spiritual elder. Pray and seek God. My dad was on dialysis and later did get a kidney transplant.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't think it would be considered suicide, I guess the person believes that you live the time God allows you to and only God would know exactly when that time is........My brother was 19 diagnosed with cancer told he would have a 95% recovery and he died three years later, my mom had cancer on November 1st was told she had about 6 months to live and died 27 days later. So I believe that you live the time God allows the doctors only guess and they usually are totally off.

Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 7:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would say no. And yes, I was raised Catholic. There is no reason to think that God would want you hooked up to some machine. That's not living anyway.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I was raised (and am currently) Catholic and a person can refuse some medical treatment. The Church recognizes a difference between obligatory (aka "ordinary" and optional (aka "extraordinary") medical means. What is morally obligatory we are bound to perform; what is morally optional we may include or omit at our own discretion. Generally, a medical procedure that carries with it little hope of benefit and is burdensome is deemed "extraordinary" and is not obligatory.

The National Catholic Guide to End of LIfe Decisions details the Catholic Church's position.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• From what I've studied of Catholic beliefs, refusing such extreme measures as dialysis is giving yourself over to the will of god, who gave you the illness in the first place and who will decided the moment of your death. And Catholics are BIG on the will of god.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• no it won't be considered suicide
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't believe so. You would be turning yourself over to God's will.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 9:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009