Braids.. a ? for aa's

i am white and i love having my hair in braids.. but there are 2 problems i have :
they get frizzy after a week
and even thought i wash it regularly it feel really greasy when they come out
is there a way i can make em stay in longer w/o being frizzy and is there a way to help it not feeel so greasy.. maybe something i can put in it ..

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I agree as far as the gel and wearing a scarf at night. As far as the greainess, there is nothing you wil be able to do about that. Your scalp produces oil. The only thing you can do is wash it and rebraid it. OR you can put baby powder in your hair to help absorb the oil. Be careful with that! Use a small amount...
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hmm, my answer would be to use a little bit (not a lot!) of gel while you braid your hair to help the frizz. You may just have to take yours out every week though because white scalps/hair produces alot more oil then AA's. You COULD try using an astringent rinse...that's what they suggest for people starting dreadlocks. Good luck! Oh and if you don't get alot of answers, try posting this in the AA mom's group.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• sleep with a scarf on your head at night...like a bandana or something to cover the braids cause it causes them to get frizzy. Also for the greasyness, r they greasy wen u take them out?? .... do u put product in ur braids while they are in?? ... if u do, than stop doing that. Also dont wash them while they are in. that frizzes them. who ever does ur hair, tell them to put a LITTLE BIT of product thru the braid while they r braiding them.....
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Try water and a extreme hold mousse.
    jaimeesolo

Answer by jaimeesolo at 11:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well, first of all you'll need to wear a scarf or stretch cap at night when you sleep, that will deffinately keep them from getting so frizzy. And second, you can use Sea Breaze it is a wonderful astringent that will keep your scalp clean and keep it from getting so oily so quickly. I do my husbands dread locks, he's had them for 4 years and in between shampoos i'll use sea breaze on his scalp.
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 11:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• White people have oily hair, so there is no way around that i dont think, consult a beautican spealizing in your hair type. As for the frizz I would use a hair scraf to keep the hairs in place and maybe even a little hair gel.
    Niamom

Answer by Niamom at 12:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009