What does grapes (fake) hanging in the middle of window or door frames mean?

I know this sounds weird, but I sometimes help my mother clean a house and this lady already has a voodoo doll hanging over a bed in her spare room. And in EVERY room over at the top of every window & door frame in the middle are fake grapes hanging. Just as you'd see mistletoe hanging. I'm just curios and I know that there are several types of religons on here that I'm hoping that could answer my question. And please, I'm not looking for any type of bashing or anything. I'm just curious is all :0) Thanks!

BORNAGAIN050601

Asked by BORNAGAIN050601 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thanks nysa00. Now that does make alot of sense! Still a lil bit eerie but hey each to their own, right? Maybe that's why I have a keen sense to buy grapes all the time, LOL!!!
    BORNAGAIN050601

Answer by BORNAGAIN050601 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I have no idea! Did you try googeling it?
    gr8_2_b_a_mom

Answer by gr8_2_b_a_mom at 4:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Interesting! I don't know, but am really curious now!
    MommaK2007

Answer by MommaK2007 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I will take a stab here. But, maybe it's like a mezuzah...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezuzah
    I always thought grapes were used to signify an abundance of blessings. I really am guessing here. It is interesting:) Let's us know what you find out..now I am wondering.
    imamombygrace

Answer by imamombygrace at 5:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Grapes and Wine are symbolic of fertility, joy, intoxication, healing and youthfulness. As wine, they represent the alchemical process of infusing the creative spirit into matter, and are used in the sacred rites of many civilizations, representing the presence of the Divine Spirit on earth. Symbolizing the Blood of Life, wine is offered as a libation to many gods, but is especially sacred to Dionysus, Bacchus, Sura, Siduri, Sesmu, Meditrina and Pan.

I Googled grapes--symbolism-- and this is what I found.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• maybe it symbolizes an avid wine drinker? idk. i don't think its liek voodoo or hoodoo.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I don't know, I have never heard of hanging grapes in windows but I don't think its bad...grapes don't have negative conotations or meanings. The abundance things sounds right because an abundance of grapes to wine producers is a good thing...if they don't have an abundance, they don't have an income. So, I wouldn't think its a bad thing.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 8:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Thanks for all the answers ladies! And I did try googling it with no luck :0( It just freaks me out, LOL!! You'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about. Especially the voodoo doll, LOL!! And yeah, she does drink wine. I have yet to see a bible in her house so I wouldn't think she is a Christian but I'm not here to past judgement on her. Just to try to get an answer :0) I figured with all the types of religion group, someone would have an answer for me. Come on girls!!!
    BORNAGAIN050601

Answer by BORNAGAIN050601 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Poppets are not always voodoo dolls, though they look more or less the same, & they are not used only for negative purposes. Poppets are used by many religions for healing, for example. So she may not be Voudon. Whatever her religion, the fact that the grapes are in every window suggests protection & grapes are considered by some protection from the evil eye.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008