Do you give your toddler vitamins? Like Flintstones, etc.

My son is going through a phase where he doesn't want to eat much of anything we offer him. He drinks milk like crazy, but little of anything else. I'm thinking of giving him Flintstone gummy vitamins or buying some Pediasure drinks or something...did any of you moms out there do that? Or just let him go through this phase?

Pollymom

Asked by Pollymom at 1:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No.. Jesse is 14m and im going through this... But i havent tried vitames yet... Hope it all works out for ya mama...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The vitamins are for age 2-adult ! We give one daily to each of our kids.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't give Flintstone vitamins...they are full of sugar and artificial dyes and flavorings. Go to the health food store and pick out a good multi-vitamin for your kiddo...try to get one that has concentrates of real fruit and vegetables, and that has nothing artificial.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We don't. I had one son who went through a picky time...The pediatrician said to keep working at getting him to eat more of a balanced diet...it took a couple of weeks, but working with him, it was over.

Even for my other boys, the pediatrician says they don't need vitamins if they get a fairly balanced diet. Good thing...I have one sensitive to citrus and have to be careful what he gets.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I give my 2 yr old 1/2 a vitamin and my 9 yr old a full one daily. We have such a hectic life that sometimes they don't get a balanced diet everyday.

Though it is a typical phase your child is going thru a vitamin or Pediasure drink won't hurt til he's back on a good eating schedule. =)
    Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I give my daughter vitamins but they are from the healthfood store, not ones with sugar and artificial ingredients.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, my daughter's doctor recommended vitamins; I use the toddler drops.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 2:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing and I did give her flinstones-eventually we had to take her milk away (Dr.s orders) so she would eat food-all she wanted was milk, the Dr. said she would not starve even though she was so stubborn about eating and it only took 4 days. The only way she got her precious milk was after she ate some of her meal. She is 17 now and we still joke that we are going to buy her, her own cow!!!
    momsrock13

Answer by momsrock13 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My dd is 22 months and she's been on vitamins ever since she got out of the NICU. She's on the My First Flintstones multivitamin now. For being born a preemie she doesn't look or act like one. There's no difference between her and other 22 month old toddlers.

As to her eating habits...she's got me worried. She turned into an picky eater with "I wanna do it myself" issues. lol I'd still have her on vitamins regardless.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Cut back on the milk. Too much (beyond 24 ounces a day) can cause constipation. It also fills him up so he doesn't want to eat more nutritious food.

Since he eats to little, make every bite count. Don't give in and give him junky snacks. Offer him apple slices, whole wheat bread, and other healthy "snacks".

To answer your main question... yes, my toddler gets a vitamin. She gets 1/4 of a Centrum Children's Chewable each day. The package says to give 1/2 but I know she gets a pretty good balance from her food and I only want to boost her intact a little.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009