should a pastor also involve themselves in politics?

my pastor is also in government. My husband and I have these talks often about religion and politics. It only concerned me when he started bringing different politicians to the church for support. I felt it should have been done outside the church. Unfortunately some of those politicians who've been to our church who have been elected to office have been a big,big disappointment. What's your take on it?

need2rest71

Asked by need2rest71 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think those two things should ever be mix together. I think your right that it should have been done outside of the church.
    Anonymous

• I dont personally have an issue with it. I used to live near Palm Springs CA so my church often had politicians etc in them. Our pastor aligned himself with the politicians that best expressed what he taught his church and fit into his beliefs. I see no problem with it since depending on your church and religion beliefs obviously you will align yourself with people with the same core values. Politicians are usually always disappointments, so keep that in mind. There isnt anyone elected or running for any seat anywhere that will ever be able to keep half the promises they make. Just be realistic. The pastor is human, so are politicians. No biggy. I for one like meeting politicians who might believe similiarly to me.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• gemgem you're right, maybe I'm taking it too personal. We all are human in or out of the pulpit
    need2rest71

Answer by need2rest71 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think the church should lose it's tax exempt status if the pastor is pushing his choice of politics.
    Anonymous

• I dont see what the problem with pastors talking politics. There will come a time when politics and church will be in opposition, and there will need to be someone who will speak the truth. I dont think that you should say you ahve to vote for this person, but i know for me ministry is my life, and i have thoughts about what is going on, why shouldnt i be allowed to speak my mind and what i believe, everyone else does right?
    Anonymous

• church and politics never are to be mixed or that is what I have always heard.
    katandtysmom

Answer by katandtysmom at 2:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i think the pastor has every right to take part in politics, we all have that right. however i think its wrong for him to bring that into the church. it could get really ugly, i can see it now "you should vote for me (or somebody else) b/c thats what God wants" "if you dont vote for me (or my friends) then you are a sinner", etc.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009