Pink eye...what do you think

Last night, I begin to see that my dd's (6 months) left eyelid was swelling and she was getting dark circles under that eye. This morning, she woke up and would open it only a little and it was red. She does not have any eye gook or anything like that, just a red eye, with scratches all around it. I took her to the doc this am and he said pink eye but we are not convinced. She isn't in daycare and hasnt been in the last 2 days anywhere she doesnt normally go outside of the docs office on monday. She is fine, no fussiness at all, just a red eye. Any thoughts?

blackwellqk

Asked by blackwellqk at 1:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The scratches all around it tells me it itches....no goop doesn't mean anything...did the doc give you a prescription for the pink eye?

If you are not convinced, I would wait a day or two, and if it doesn't clear up, then start the antibiotics. Just remember that pink eye is super contagious, and you need to wash your hands every time you hold her, and try to keep her hands concealed to keep her from scratching it anymore.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It could just be irritated from something. But if the doctor gave you antibiotics or anything, I'd have her go ahead and take them, just to be on the safe side.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Spray some breast milk in her eye. That'll clear it up.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, he prescribed some drops for her eyes. Liyoness, have you ever done the breastmilk thing before? I might try that tonight....and if so, for how long should I do it?
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 1:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Take her to her doc, and get her checked out, they should give you subscription for some eye drops that's for pink eye if its pink and from what it sounds like it is.. so i would def take her into to her doc..Hope she gets better
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 2:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It could be pink eye, but it is usually accompanied with green "eye goo". It could possibly be a scratch on the eye too, either way the beat treatment is a couple drops breast milk in the eye 3 times a day. It helps keep the eye moist, reduce redness/ swelling, reduces pain and clears infection.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 2:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• put some breastmilk in it
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes, I've done the breastmilk thing a few times.. Never for pink eye- my kids have never had it.. (It was upon hearing that it's the best cure for pink eye that I got the idea, though) But for other eye irritations such as dry or weepy eyes..

It clears the eyes up pretty quickly - you need only do it as much as the eye needs.. Try just a few drops once or twice a day- it'll probably be gone by morning.

Breastmilk cures just about EVERYthing.. From the eyes, right down to the bum.. Come to think of it- my DH has persistent athlete's foot.. Haha, maybe I'll try some on his feet next time he's home!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009