Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I collect child support?

I have been trying to get child support for the last year and a half and still no money. I found out that he had moved to a different state and that he moved just to try and not pay the support. THe state that I live in told me that I needed to find him for them and then they will go after him again. Is it my job to find him or are they needing to try and find them also? Right now I have to work two jobs and I don't even see my kids as much as I used to. They all cry when I leave them.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • unfortunately, they leave it up to you to provide an address of his home and/or work, if he doesnt' provide one himself. it sucks, but its true.

    Answer by isaboo22 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • Once chance you can have is...his name and birthday are out there that he is a child support payer. Depending on the state, once his child support gets to a certain amount, they put a warrant out for arrest. If he has a car registered to him, and gets pulled over, they will run his name and boom. He is in jail. You MIGHT get some kind of money at that time.

    Answer by isaboo22 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • It is a law that company's report their employees by their social security numbers. If they have something like that on their record the government is supposed to report it to your state department of economic security office. Unfortunatley that means very little. the DES in my state is a serious joke. They make unbelievable mistakes and turn around and blame the fathers. But your guy will be caught if he gets a job, even if the company doesn't report him immediatley, they do have to file quarterly payroll reports that also include his SSN. But this means very little if he just continues to quit his job to avoid paying you. Don't include any child support money in your budget, if you get it, it is extra money, to put in a college fund or for a vacation. Good luck.

    Answer by feesharose at 9:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

  • Go to yous local public aid office. they will help you get a court child support order that will follow the social security number even when he bounces from state to state. I ended up doing that because my ex told me i wasnt gonna get a penny out of him. now i recieve a portion of his unemployment check from two states over...hes not too happy about that i imagine, but hey, he started the seed and he can help support the seedling that is growing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.