How much do math tutors charge?

I know this will differ by area...but I was wondering what's a reasonable fee for a math tutor to charge? I'm considering tutoring here & there but I don't know what's fair. Should I charge more for elementary math vs. upper level math (statistics, calculus, etc.)? I have a master's degree in math and taught 100 & 200 level classes as a T.A. in grad school. What do you think I should charge? Thanks! :-)

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• considering schools do provide tutors for children that need them free of charge, don't go too outrageous in your price
    Anonymous

• I am a math tutor LOL. I work for University Instructors and get referrals from them all the time. They are nationwide and you have the name behind you do you can get more business. They pay you from their office as well so you are always paid and dont have to worry about a client not paying. It takes the pressure off as well. Anyway I get paid $20 an hour.

Answer by gemgem at 1:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My husband is a specialized math teacher and when he does tutoring in the summer through different programs through the schools he gets paid usually somewhere between $25 and $50 an hour.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have used WyzAnt.com. The tutors can set their own rate and the default is $40 an hour, but many tutors chose to set their rate lower. You can also buy discount packages that can give you up to 20% off the rate. I hope this helps!!
    CreativeMind26

Answer by CreativeMind26 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I have used wyzant, use this url to get $20 off your first lesson.

http://www.wyzant.com/11QOOCU

Tutors have to pass an exam in order to teach with wyzant, they set there own fee anything from $20 but if you buy lessons as a group upfront you can get a big discount

Hope this helps
    heidibooks

Answer by heidibooks at 2:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2009