Screaming fits at nighttime

My daughter has a night time routine she has a bath at 7:30 then straight to bed. This has worked for at least 6 mos now. (even when she went to bed hungry) Now for the past 2 nights she will scream for and hour and a half before she falls asleep. I've tried everything, teething tablets, oral gel, tyelnol, sips of water, ice cubes, reading a story, more blankets, less blankets, warmer jammies, cooler jammies, more stuffed toys, less stuffed toys. But i refuse to let her sleep with me because i can't sleep when she is in the bed. I'm at my wits end, from 8pm until i go to bed is my time, and i'm a single mom so without my time i'm starting to get frazzled. (she is 29mos and still in her crib) please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

queentokemi

Asked by queentokemi at 1:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is working you mom...U are going to have to let her scream a few nights to learn to self comfort.Toddlers are just learning to control stuff and she has you right where she wants you.Come on now you know she is warm/cool/sfe/not sick/fine in hrer crib so you have to tough up.Let her scream and every few mons(like 10-15) say from your room,"you are ok nite nite, mom's tired" if you go in thee she could turn it into more of a game than she already has.Lots of moms go thru this,try to stay cool and good luck,you are doing the right thing.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Well, at 29 months, she MIGHT be wanting to go in to "big girl bed!" My sons were in regular full-sized beds at 18 months with a side rail. Perhaps you can have her change her room around to suit HER...paint the walls a different color, arrange her furniture, toys/stuffed animals, etc.

Give her choices that are a "win-win" for YOU! Such as do you want me to read this book or that book, do you want to wear pink jammies or green jammies, do you want this blanket or that blanket, etc., Do you want to stay up an extra 10 minutes or do you want me to read a story/play some quiet/relaxing music?

Bottom line, letting her dictate the terms of her going to bed MIGHT just get her "excited" about going to bed, and help you get that Mommy time you are desperately needing!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Maybe she's just not tired that early anymore. Kids change. Routines change. Let her do some physical activity....something that will help her tire out...before the bath. Then something quiet, like looking at a book or watching some tv, before going to bed sometime between 8-8:30. Sure, you won't get "alone" time, but it could still be time to yourself, since she could do it on her own. I'm a single mom of twin boys. We've changed bedtimes often based on what works for all of us....not just me.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 1:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• oh my gosh i had this problem last night so i played with my son till he got really tired. that was all i knew how to do. he will usally fall asleep when i read to him but last night sure was different. i hope he dont keep this up all the time.
    jenniferwashere

Answer by jenniferwashere at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009