Keep your dogs out of the woods during hunting season, please.

Just a friendly reminder.

My husband just brought in a dog that was shot in the leg. Thanks to a few asshole moves by a few asshole people (owners and hunters), I'm stuck with a huge vet bill in the morning.

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 10:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Sorry to hear.... poor baby. I so agree. Ours' sport bright orange bandanas just running around in the yard. We are in the country and better to be safe than sorry.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• Ours too, LeJane. Couple hundred acres, we're smack dab in the middle of it...dogs still have bandanas and are kept close.
    FreeForAll

Comment by FreeForAll (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• I will never forget a guy banging on my door at 6:00 am during the opener several years ago. He was incensed that my dog was barking. In his kennel. On my land. He threatened to shoot him. I told him if he didn't take his jet black Escalade out of my driveway toot sweet, my DOG wasn't gonna be the one with buckshot in his ass. Idiots.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 10:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• And I'll never forget the time that a hunter knocked on my door, telling me that it wasn't his fault if he 'accidentally' shot my toddler who was playing in our front yard...while he hunted on my property illegally.

FreeForAll

Comment by FreeForAll (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• Keep them out during any season really. My uncle's dog got shot not during hunting season, not even in the woods, he was running in their field and some idiot shot him. He was on my uncle's property, because it was HIS field, but the guy shot him because he thought the dog was a "wolf", what kind of wolf runs around in broad daylight in a field in ND and is black?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• That's a shame. At least you are trying to help the animal...around here they just shoot it and bury it. I cant get used to some of the back country ways of this town I live in. Im from the city and if you get caught so much as kicking a dog for jumping on you, you end up with a serious fine. I worry about our dog that showed up last year and never left. He roams free and I cant keep a collar on him, he manages to get them all off. Thankfully we live around cow pastures, not hunting land. But still he could get hurt. I'd keep him in the house, but he is just so wild. He's very loyal and protective so I dont mind him living on my front porch. The FedEx guy and postman dont like him so much, lol.
    Minimelda

Answer by Minimelda at 11:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• Wait...FreeForAll...your TODDLER got shot!?!?!? OMG! Please tell me the baby is okay! I will have nightmares and not let my kids out of the house. We live on only 2 acres but are surrounded by about 200 owned by a cow farmer. Occasionally we hear a gun shot or two at night to fend off the coyotes. My MIL has 100 acres and people illegally hunt out there. I may have to rethink letting the kids run and play when we are out there.
    Minimelda

Answer by Minimelda at 11:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• Never mind...I reread...it said "IF" your toddler accidentally got shot...PHEW! I hope you ran him off quick!
    Minimelda

Answer by Minimelda at 11:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2011

• "And I'll never forget the time that a hunter knocked on my door, telling me that it wasn't his fault if he 'accidentally' shot my toddler who was playing in our front yard...while he hunted on my property illegally. "

WOW! If anyone had said that to me I would have been fighting mad and would've called the cops!
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 12:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2011

• This really applies to any animal if the owners live in the country. My donkey is sporting a safety orange halter AND there are orange bandanas around his paddock. Our property is properly posted 'no tresspassing', but this time of year, I'm not sure if the pig or any of my poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, guineas) are safe. My guineas free range and are pretty much half wild (in spite of them lining up by the chicken pens each evening for some potato chi ... er ... scratch).

it wasn't his fault if he 'accidentally' shot my toddler who was playing in our front yard...while he hunted on my property illegally. "

FFA, that fool would have been escorted off my property at the business end of MY rifle ... actually, I'd have chosen the shotgun for a varmint like that (and I say that AS a hunter!).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2011