how to get my 3 year old to use the potty

he is 3 and just starting to talk he knows when he has to go to the bathroom but will not use the potty at all i need any ideas at all please

busymom136

Asked by busymom136 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I only can tell you how I potty trained my girls. I put them on the toilet and kept doing it tell they under stood that's were they are suppose to potty at. I say stop using diapers of any kind,  just regular under pant. Kids don't like to fell wet.  GL

Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Every time my son would go on the potty, we had a little party. If he went pee pee, it was a PeePee Party. I'd buy a slice of cake, put a candle on it and sing the Happy PeePee To You Song (which can be anything you want it to be, ours rhymed with Happy Birthday). Sometimes I'd even stick a candle in a pile of raisins, if that's all I had. Lots of hugs and praise. And balloons too. After he went a few days in a row, I made a little sign and stuck it on a stick and we marched up and down the block. Then we moved on to Poopy, and did the same thing with the song and the little parade.
    You're probably laughing by now, but believe me I had tried everything! What kid doesn't like a party? Especially when that party is for him. Once my son started going on the potty, he never once had an accident. The whole party process took only a few days. Goodluck, I know how frustrating it can be!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Some little boys are afraid that the toliet seat cover will fall on them. :S... also with one of my brothers my mom used food coloring to dye the toliet water and my brother liked peeing so he could see the water change colors, and it worked with my other 2 brothers when their moms did it for them
    via86

Answer by via86 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The way that I got my son to go to the potty was to reward him fo useing it. Everytime he went he would get a hotwheels car. Oh and the food coloring thing is great 2. Kids love colors and when you go pee in the potty it will change colors!. It took about 2 extra weeks to get him to go poo in the potty he was scared of it. So when he had to go poo he would whine but what I did was went in there with him and huged him while he was in the potty and told him that everyone goes poo in the potty and then named off all the people that used the potty and by the time I was done nameing people he had went :) Oh and the number one thing to not do is use pull-ups that just confuses them. THe only time that you should use them in durning nap time or bed time.
    Good luck !!
    broken0image

Answer by broken0image at 2:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009