My daughter is only 7 months old. I keep telling my mother-in-law not to put a blanket on her when she nap or sleeps or any stuffed animals because sids but she won't listen any suggestions? Also, we live with her. Any suggestions will be help ful.

HaileyRoseMama

Asked by HaileyRoseMama at 2:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always used a blanket with my kids by the time they were that age. I dont think there is much you can do other then try and sit down and seriously talk to her about why you feel this way and print out some things to support your stance. Since you are living in her house it isnt like you can control what she does and doesnt do.

Answer by gemgem at 2:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Stuffed animals I can understand, but if you have a light enough blanket is shouldn't be a problem. My DD slept with a blanket that young.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• once they can roll over on their own, it's safer than when they are newborns. I've always used a blanket. and when they could roll over and scoot around the crib, I started giving each kid a stuffed animal so that if they woke up a little, they'd at least have a toy to play with. nothing large mind you, maybe 6 inches big stuffed animal.
    Anonymous

• I'm having that issue with my mom (my boyfriend and my daughter and i are living with her at the moment). Pretty much all you can do is say "I'm concerned about SIDS, and she's my daughter, so I'd appreciate it if you would do as I wish." My mom constantly says it's okay to put my baby to sleep on her belly and put crib bumpers in her crib and cover her with blankets and crap...all because she did it with me when I was a baby and I just happened to survive. It makes me incredibly nervous, and it sounds like it makes you nervous when your MIL does the same things with your daughter. Maybe if you explain how anxious it makes you, she'll back off. It's your turn to be a mommy, she got her chance.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't use a blanket for my DH and she's 10 months. My DH has a tendency to pull the blanket over her head. I put my DH in one of those wearable blankets and it works perfect.
    Anonymous

• you need to make sure your mother in law know that this is the way you feel , You are not ok with the baby haveing a blanket. She is your child not hers you make the decisons .she needs to respect that. Dont yell at her. tell you her you are not comfotable with this and to please respect that if you dont put your foot down now trust me it wont get any better.
    stayathomemama3

Answer by stayathomemama3 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just tell her that she had a chance to raise her kids and now your are going to raise your kids the way you want. Your the mom and you make the rules. If she dont respect that then she dont respect you.
    sweetpea808

Answer by sweetpea808 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i agree, you have to tell her that you just don't want to do thing's that way, period! I have a 7 month old, I put him to sleep in his crib..with a small blanket and a small stuffed Lamb. The Lamb is his comfort object because he's new to a crib, I sucked and let him co-sleep lol. I think you have every right to make up your own mind, and I also should add..I use those breathable bumper pad's they're great!!! Bought them at walmart, I think they're made by safety first.
    Anonymous

• Thats a hard one. My mom is the same way. I bought some of those sleep sacks and put them close to the crib for easy access. I told my mom to put one of them on instead of a blanket. I told her to put the sleep sack right over his cloths. They are the sleeveless ones. That will keep him warm enough. My mom is always talking about what she used to do. It can be anoying at times. I hope this helps.
    Tanneill

Answer by Tanneill at 2:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I always use a light receiving blanket with my son he is 6 months.

If i do not he tries to cover his face up with the bumper, so this is safer. He has always liked his eyes covered when he sleeps, for example when you hold him and he is tired he buries his hand in your arm.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009