how are these rice rusk's, baby mum mum's safe??

I posted earlier about these..I've given my son one to hold and chew on..he gagged on pieces that he bit off and seemed to be chocking..when he gagged he brought up some of his apple juice too..I just don't get how these are safe for a 7 month old?! Is this reaction to them normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I posted on your last question too...I do not recommend these. They break off into small pieces that are easy to choke on.

I recommend Gerber Finger Foods (Biter Biscuts and Apple Wagon Wheels).

NO choking is not a normal reaction to eating anything! lol They are not supposed to be able to bite off pieces, they aren't ready for that yet.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My DD had them when she was 6 months old and did fine with them. Every child is different.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My kids were fine with them. They do melt pretty quickly in their mouth. Different kids get used to solids at different rates- he may not be quite ready yet. I don't necessarily think that a little gagging or spit up is a danger sign- my kids had that happen numerous times in their first year, only to take another bite and do just fine with the same food. It's part of going from liquids to solids with textures- it takes practice for them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• All kids are different, my daughter gags with anything like that and is still on 2nds at almost 10 months. Her little friend at daycare is 2 weeks younger and loves cheerios and teething biscuits and does great on them. If they gag I would definately wait awhile longer before offering it again.
    kaliebugsmomma

Answer by kaliebugsmomma at 2:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think I agree best with you, Carolyn...I don't think it's normal at all, and he's prob not ready for pieces of anything solid! I'll go get the ones your suggesting..THANK'S EVERYONE though for all your great feed back! Happy New Year!
    Anonymous