Help Homesick Mom!My husband took a job 5 states away from the small town I grew up in with all my family & friends and I am so homesick that I dread waking up everyday to be alone while he's at work~has anyone else gone through this? I just want to move back home and that consumes my daily thoughts~I am so lonely I do cry!

My husband took a job 5 states away from the small town I grew up in with all my family & friends and I am so homesick that I dread waking up everyday to be alone while he's at work~has anyone else gone through this? I just want to move back home and that consumes my daily thoughts~I am so lonely I do cry! I've tried meeting new people~that only makes me miss my back home friends all the more. I've joined a gym to get out of the house, but I wait for my husband to join me because I am scared to death to drive in "Big City" traffic. I've only been away for 5 months but the Holidays where the worste, since my family are big on getting together for anything and we are so close~Please, anyone who's been through this, I'll take ANY advise!!
nicole

norwalknicole

Asked by norwalknicole at 2:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Sure been there done that. I moved 3000 miles away from home BY MYSELF with my kids to go to a university I was accepted to when I was 24. I didnt know anyone. I missed home all the time. I met a new guy and we lived together for awhile and he worked all the time to. I just realized my kids needed me together and I wasnt a child anymore. I had to do the grown up thing and understand that moving was something that was good for my kids.
    If you cant get over it you might want to try some counseling. What I did was go out and meet new people and omg how great it was to have new friends. I could tell my old friends about and it just enriched my life.

Answer by gemgem at 2:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My husband is in the military and when we got married it moved me far away from my family and the place I knew. I went from a small mill town to the largest metropolitan area in VA. It took a while to adjust. But its something YOU have to decide to do. The traffic things is scary but start by just going to places close by, not on the other side of town. Try to find the benifits to living in the city. Like more restuarants to choose from. Its something you are going to have to decide to do, its not going to be easy, and you are still going to miss your family, but sitting around all day consumed in it wont help. After a while you get used to it, but its going to take time and effort on your part.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My husband is also in the military and I moved 1000 miles away from home to be with him. It was very sad and still is 4 years later but it is what was best for my kids. They need to be with their daddy. It was really hard for me too. You just have to suck it up. You are the parent and your kids need you to be strong for them. If you get into a depression, which is sounds like you might, it won't be healthy for anyone in your family. Have you tried getting a job or going to school to keep yourself busy? I know when my husband is deployed I have to find as many things to get involved in as possible to keep from going insane. When he is deployed I am here by myself with my 2 kids and no family for 7 months straight! Trust me it sucks.. but it is what you make of it. You are letting it be the way it is.
    Anonymous