• In the Spotlight:

I am looking for some cheap /creative ideas to convert a corner area of my garage into a craft like area. Or rather a hiding place. Thank you in advance!

orangepeel

Asked by orangepeel at 2:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm presuming since you want a craft corner, you are reasonably handy. Check freecycle, thrift shops, friends who are spring-cleaning, and the roadsides in your town for old bookcases, chests, desks -- anything you can use to claim your space and organize it, either as is, with some degree of work, or use to kitbash into things you can use. Of course, if you are really ambitious on this, refinish it all to match. If your staked out area is big enough, use several reclaimed desks, or those 2' tall filing cabinets, and a 4'x8' piece of 3/4 board as your workspace. Ugh stupid word limit here.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Create a multi-functional screen with new or reclaimed (like roadkill bookcases). Cover the pieces in a sturdy fabric (I use old jeans for stuff like this). Add plenty of pockets, a corkboard, magnetic board, wipe off board -- whatever you think of to help organize things, and then use it to "hide" behind. There is a home and Garden Buzz about wood cubbies http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/home_garden/2122/Cubby_Loving_Organize_With_Mix_n_Match_Cubbies where the Buzzer and I were talking about making your own cubbies for way less. Maybe that will help customize your space.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• What kind of crafting do you do? Tell me more and maybe I can visualize your space better. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I love all of your ideas Roachiesmom!! I actually just paint and make handdipped candles. I am pretty handy and have a few "roadkill" bookcases in the garage waiting for me ;)
    orangepeel

Answer by orangepeel at 9:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009