21 month old son gone crazy

My 21 m/o son won't sit down for art projects or storytime (i do an in-home childcare/preschool program). The other kids are doing circle time and art and he's running around crazy (i know his age limits his attention span). When he does sit down he has to hold the paint and screams if someone wants to use it and it's really driving me crazy. When i took the paint from him today he threw himself backwards and busted his head on a thick chair, and he does this all the time. At home i want to read him a book, he throws himself on the floor and has a tantrum b/c he wants to hold it! ok...fine, you hold it...so when i start to read he screams b/c i'm reading! i don't understand it! He also won't play at home he just whines and has tantrums so i bring out colors, paints, blocks...he plays for less than 5 minutes then he's whining again. He's a really good kid otherwise, takes good naps, eats well, sleeps at night, and plays really great when the other kids are here

Elizabeth1015

Asked by Elizabeth1015 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'll have to go through my stuff,but there is a video by a pediatrician that adresses'tantrums'.Says they don't feel like they're are being understood or listened to and this will help.An example would be him throwing himself on the ground & doesn't want to give up the paint.You then do as he is doing...get on the ground like he is and say in the same tone he is using 'you don't want to share the paints' 'I know you don't want to share'.After saying what he is trying to explain to you two or three times he will listen and know that you understand him.As he starts to tone down you do the same. hen he will be more willing to do what you ask and make compromises.It's a form of active listening.I really will try to find the name of the video tonight.It's really good,and it feels really weird to do at first, but then it becomes easier.I hope that makes sense,any questions just write me:)
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 6:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I really like chupachyps answer. I have tried that with my son and it didnt work. Every baby is different. My son listens more if i ignore his tantrums. He figures out that hes not going to get my attention with that kind of behavior. Hes 3 now and he does it more in public that at home. ITs really embarrasing to be walking through the store and he starts screaming and crying, but i still just try and walk away.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• well, i put mine in thier room and let them go at it. they got no reaction from me. i once walked around walmart for 40 minutes letting her throw her fit. when she quit, we left. at this point, you just have to be more stubborn than him. it sucks, though. sorry.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2008