When should you take away a pacifier?

My son takes a binky when hes tired or not feeling good. He's almost 9 months old. I'm torn between when to take it from him. I think that the sooner the easier it will be but I would like some opinions on this matter. Thank!

ashleydawn3830

Asked by ashleydawn3830 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I took them away at about 6 months old. I did not want them to become too dependent on them.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I took the pacifiers away at 2yo for both my kids...Starting at 12 months I stopped allowing them in the car, at 18 months only at nap & bedtime & at 2yo we collected them- put them in a pretty bag- hung the bag outside from a tree for the Pacifier Fairy to come to take them for the New babies...the bag of pacifiers was replaced with a much wanted toy when they woke up...Worked like a charm for my kids. No problems whatsoever : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't believe in giving babies a pacifier. So I say never give one and you don't have to worry about taking it away.

Answer by louise2 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The sooner, the easier. I couldn't bear to take my son's away, so he had it until he was 3 - and he doesn't have one anymore because he lost it himself. I was a big, fat wuss. Start weaning him off of it slowly - no more in public, then no more outside of travel and sleep, then no more for travel, then no more for naps, then, eventually, no more for bed. I'm lucky that my daughter didn't like them, because I have such a hard time taking them away! My son got over "Bob" pretty quick though, once he lost it. Just be consistent - that's the key, which I obviously learned too late.
    MaMomToTwo

Answer by MaMomToTwo at 3:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter only gets hers to fall asleep. She is almost 11 months old. Here in about a month we are going to take it away at naps, and only let her have it at bedtime.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• my daughter never really liked the pacifier but she would cry a lot when she got tired and it helped her go too sleep so i only used it when she was about to go too bed....but i stop giving it to her when she was like 2 months........I didn't even want to have her take it in the first place but the dumb nurses at the hospital would give it to her or my boyfriend's mom...
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009