This is why i wont be adopting our pet from you and would rather pay for one.

So our dauchsund that i have had for 15 years had to be put down. I have noticed the girls asking "where puppy is" so i wanted to get them another dog for the house. I thought i would look in to adopting so i checked the two shelters around our aread and they didnt have anything i was looking for, so i searched online and found the cutest little daushund from an organization. I began to look into everything and called up for information and to make sure they still had her and so forth. The process that they want to go through is ridiculous. First of all i went prepared. I had already filled out the application and had it with me. I expected to be asked questions and pay a fee and take the dog home. NOT SO MUCH. They take my application and say ok, now lets schedula a home visit. I was like excuse me. They said yes, we come out and inspect your home and require that we are allowed to write to the animal and drop buy whenever we want to to see him. We like for you to agree to send pictures and updates on how the animal is doing. At this point i was so irritated and thought this is a ridiculos process. So i told the lady to just forget it and tear up my application that i will buy a pet and when they cant find anyone to adopt and have to put the dog down maybe they will rethink there RIDICULOUS procedures. I would have probably went along with just the home visit (although i think it is RIDICULOUS) but that otheer crap is ridiculous. I have three kids an di dont want someboby (who i dont know) dropping by whenever they want to see an animal. Nor am i going to send them pics of a animal that is no longer theres.
Now i get that there are people who mistreat animals everyday, put i am not going to disrupt my life and jump through hoops for you, when i want to ADOPT and SAVE A LIFE of an animal ffom you, and you want to treat me like i am the animal murder of Texas here.
Just wanted to vent a little. Am i the only one who thinks this is a little over the top?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I am a foster mom for two rescue societies and have adopted from one in the past. I think the standard home visit is reasonable and should be part of the process. It does seem way over the top to expect you to agree with drop in visits. I am a foster provider and they don't even do that to me. It seems that the process should be as simple and humane as possible. After all the adoptee and adopter's goal should be to give pets a home where they are safe, taken care of, loved, and wanted. Both parties should want to ideally find the perfect fit for all of you. I truely think both the pet and the adopter deserve the little extra effort it takes to adopt through realistic rescuers. After all it could be a huge problem if you get an animal home and they are just not right for your home. The options for what to do then are even more painful for you and the pet.

I encourage you to research other rescue societies! lol
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 12:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

•  

This was dumped at my local animal control. The rest of the litter was euthanized (read: shot in the head), I stepped in and took the last one.I'm going to make damn sure that he goes to the right home.

All because people buy from breeders.

FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 1:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• When I adopted we had to give them 3 references and agree to a home visit at a later date. They called one of the references while we waited (outside). As I understand it the reference check went something along the lines of do these people really have a house that would accommodate a dog - just to make sure we weren't trying to sneak a dog into a no pets apartment building. And do you think they would be good pet owners or is there any reason we shouldn't trust them with a pet? Then about 6 month later a guy showed up at my door and asked if we still had our dog and if she was in good health. I said yes. And he said you own this house with that big fenced yard? And I said yes. And he said Lucky Dog and left. He never even came in to meet her. Of course this was an every breed and mutt you can imagine rescue and not a breed specific bunch of nut jobs! I think that is the key to finding a reasonable shelter.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• FreeForAll that liter didn't "happen" because somebody bought from a breeder. That liter happened because somebody didn't spay and somebody didn't neuter.  And then after that somebody didn't put an ad on craigslist!  That is a cute little puppy, and I'd bet if properly advertised they would have all been spoken for before they were old enough to leave their mother!  What kind did it turn out to be?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Purebred daschund, actually.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 1:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Most rescues are not like this however breed rescues often are because they are in love with their breed.
    Go to pet smart or pet co adoption days (usually Sat. and sometimes Sunday) and look. You may find the dog you are looking for and who is looking for you. If not ask. They often have contacts or other dogs at home.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• We used to work for GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE, and when our oldest Shepherd passed away this past March, we called them first to adopt a dog... Well we had ours for 14 yrs, she was a member of the family, got exercise, and lots and lots of love.. Our vet even said she was the oldest she'd seen in years, and she had such a good life because she was well taken care of.. Oh and she was a rescue, at 4 my Hubby took her in from a pound.. With that said, we're through with GSR, they're ridiculous, they wanted to do a home visit, they wanted us to put up a fence, and said they really didn't recommend a dog because we have children. My Husband and I have had dogs our whole lives, and keep them their whole lives, and love dogs, and so do our boys, and we're teaching them to be responsible dog owners. So because of all of the mess we went and bought a puppy, he's now 9 months old and awesome! Go buy one Momma, they need a home too!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• We had her 10 years***
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• I do an application, home visit and a follow up visit. I also check vet references and if you are a new dog owner I make sure your understand the costs involved in maintaining a pet. I would not agree to constant updates or unannounced drop ins, and often times they say this but it doesn't happen. Do you know how many volunteers they would need to maintain that kind of process? I follow the process I do because I do not want the dog returned or surrendered to a shelter in the future and I want to make sure the person is who they say they are and they have a suitable home (no hoarding, unsafe environment, etc...) When I am fostering a dog I put a lot of time money and my heart into that dog. My goal is to find it a permanent, forever home....it's kind of hard to make that determination without some sort of thorough process.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• And I agree with another poster, you can still adopt. There are high kill shelters everywhere who are far less thorough in the adoption process because the alternative is certain death.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2011