This is why i wont be adopting our pet from you and would rather pay for one.

So our dauchsund that i have had for 15 years had to be put down. I have noticed the girls asking "where puppy is" so i wanted to get them another dog for the house. I thought i would look in to adopting so i checked the two shelters around our aread and they didnt have anything i was looking for, so i searched online and found the cutest little daushund from an organization. I began to look into everything and called up for information and to make sure they still had her and so forth. The process that they want to go through is ridiculous. First of all i went prepared. I had already filled out the application and had it with me. I expected to be asked questions and pay a fee and take the dog home. NOT SO MUCH. They take my application and say ok, now lets schedula a home visit. I was like excuse me. They said yes, we come out and inspect your home and require that we are allowed to write to the animal and drop buy whenever we want to to see him. We like for you to agree to send pictures and updates on how the animal is doing. At this point i was so irritated and thought this is a ridiculos process. So i told the lady to just forget it and tear up my application that i will buy a pet and when they cant find anyone to adopt and have to put the dog down maybe they will rethink there RIDICULOUS procedures. I would have probably went along with just the home visit (although i think it is RIDICULOUS) but that otheer crap is ridiculous. I have three kids an di dont want someboby (who i dont know) dropping by whenever they want to see an animal. Nor am i going to send them pics of a animal that is no longer theres.
Now i get that there are people who mistreat animals everyday, put i am not going to disrupt my life and jump through hoops for you, when i want to ADOPT and SAVE A LIFE of an animal ffom you, and you want to treat me like i am the animal murder of Texas here.
Just wanted to vent a little. Am i the only one who thinks this is a little over the top?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I just adopted two kitties from the humane society and on the application it stated that they may conduct home visits. They didn't, but they could have. I wouldn't have cared either, I don't have anything to hide. I am already thinking about the letter and pictures I am going to send to the shelter because I am so thankful that they took care of my new babies for me while they were waiting for me to find them.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2011

• I think a home visit is ok, and maybe for them to call and check on the dog every few months for the first year but they do need to cut the cord at some point
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2011

• the dropping in whenever they feel like is the only thing I find over the top. The home inspection is to ensure they aren't going to be used as bait dogs for fighting rings and that they will be inside and part of the family, not chained outside all day.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2011

• Some of them may be over the top but it is because of the people who have adopted from them previously, things they have seen and things that have happened that they have heard about. Having these procedures is their way of trying to protect the animals in their care. They are trying to make sure they are placing the animals in the right home with good people.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Same here. Was looking for a second dog, half the groups wouldn't look at us when they found out the ages of our kids. The rest wouldn't tell us if there was already an application out, so we ended up filling out 3-4 applications and they already had some and went to those people first. Some maintained ownership even after you took them, yeah no it's either my dog or yours. We just ended up taking a corgi pup from a woman I used to work with and she's fitting in great, (btw her mom was spayed a week after she came home. )
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• I had the same problem with a kitten. Had to go through the history of America just to get a barn cat. sheesh Ending up finding a freebie on CL.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• I totally agree. The last dog that i got from a rescue place, they were just so ridiculous to deal with. True, it's much easier to buy from a breeder or pet store, but please don't do that! Just find a different place:) Look on Craigslist, in the paper, whatever. There are so many cute little puppies that need homes!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Every single one of my dogs and cats is either a rescue/stray, including the little girl in the rear. She's a lab/chow mix, rescued by a woman I buy poultry from on occasion, and seems intent on housebreaking herself ~ not one accident in a week. She's been to the vet and has a spay appt. in Feb. 6 page 'beg to have a puppy' applications, ridiculous requirements, no speuter, high vet costs ALL contribute to homeless pets.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• And I agree with another poster, you can still adopt. There are high kill shelters everywhere who are far less thorough in the adoption process because the alternative is certain death.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• I do an application, home visit and a follow up visit. I also check vet references and if you are a new dog owner I make sure your understand the costs involved in maintaining a pet. I would not agree to constant updates or unannounced drop ins, and often times they say this but it doesn't happen. Do you know how many volunteers they would need to maintain that kind of process? I follow the process I do because I do not want the dog returned or surrendered to a shelter in the future and I want to make sure the person is who they say they are and they have a suitable home (no hoarding, unsafe environment, etc...) When I am fostering a dog I put a lot of time money and my heart into that dog. My goal is to find it a permanent, forever home....it's kind of hard to make that determination without some sort of thorough process.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2011