This is why i wont be adopting our pet from you and would rather pay for one.

So our dauchsund that i have had for 15 years had to be put down. I have noticed the girls asking "where puppy is" so i wanted to get them another dog for the house. I thought i would look in to adopting so i checked the two shelters around our aread and they didnt have anything i was looking for, so i searched online and found the cutest little daushund from an organization. I began to look into everything and called up for information and to make sure they still had her and so forth. The process that they want to go through is ridiculous. First of all i went prepared. I had already filled out the application and had it with me. I expected to be asked questions and pay a fee and take the dog home. NOT SO MUCH. They take my application and say ok, now lets schedula a home visit. I was like excuse me. They said yes, we come out and inspect your home and require that we are allowed to write to the animal and drop buy whenever we want to to see him. We like for you to agree to send pictures and updates on how the animal is doing. At this point i was so irritated and thought this is a ridiculos process. So i told the lady to just forget it and tear up my application that i will buy a pet and when they cant find anyone to adopt and have to put the dog down maybe they will rethink there RIDICULOUS procedures. I would have probably went along with just the home visit (although i think it is RIDICULOUS) but that otheer crap is ridiculous. I have three kids an di dont want someboby (who i dont know) dropping by whenever they want to see an animal. Nor am i going to send them pics of a animal that is no longer theres.
Now i get that there are people who mistreat animals everyday, put i am not going to disrupt my life and jump through hoops for you, when i want to ADOPT and SAVE A LIFE of an animal ffom you, and you want to treat me like i am the animal murder of Texas here.
Just wanted to vent a little. Am i the only one who thinks this is a little over the top?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2011 in Pets

• It is over the top and why I also have not adopted through places like that. I would rather go to the pound and adopt a dog, pay my fee, and go home and enjoy my dog. I know we have some pet rescues here and the one I deal with is nothing like that.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• I would be OK with a home visit, because that is how they can judge what kind of environment the dog is going into, but all the rest is ridiculous. I would not be OK with someone "dropping in" whenever they feel like it, just because I adopted a dog from them. Sorry, but I have a life.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• You can still adopt instead of buying...look at petfinder.com and craigslist. There are plenty of people offering adoptive pets that won't have all the procedures that a rescue group does. I would do anything to avoid buying from a store where there's a good chance the animal was churned out of a mill.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Oh, I hear you!

It drives me crazy too because I talk to people daily who have the same experience. There are SO many dogs who need homes and some of these adopters get on such a high horse, it is just ridiculous.

Yes, I know the heart for the animal is in the right place, but honestly shelters like this miss out on some really good owners and drive them to buy puppies at the pet stores. Believe me, this happens ALL the time. Making adopters jump through hoops to get a dog, when there are so man that need homes, and they can easily find them elsewhere just doesn't make any sense.

I can think of countless dog owners who are fabulous with their store bought and pets from breeders...who were turned away at various rescues for one reason or another.

Some rescues are more realistic and will make the adoption process less painful.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Are you adopting a dog or a human?!
    I think if your application is accepted,they need to just trust that you'd care for the animal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• It's not over the top. This is standard procedure for rescue facilities.

Given that many of their animals were rescued from abusive situations, they go to extra lengths to ensure that pets are going to responsible, caring homes. A home visit gives them a clear idea of whether or not someone's home and lifestyle is compatible with the animal they want to adopt.

We got our golden retriever through a rescue organization. I enjoyed sending them pictures of her every few months (it takes all of two minutes to send an email). And I appreciate how committed such organizations are to finding their animals quality homes.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• Some of them may be over the top but it is because of the people who have adopted from them previously, things they have seen and things that have happened that they have heard about. Having these procedures is their way of trying to protect the animals in their care. They are trying to make sure they are placing the animals in the right home with good people.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• I do an application, home visit and a follow up visit. I also check vet references and if you are a new dog owner I make sure your understand the costs involved in maintaining a pet. I would not agree to constant updates or unannounced drop ins, and often times they say this but it doesn't happen. Do you know how many volunteers they would need to maintain that kind of process? I follow the process I do because I do not want the dog returned or surrendered to a shelter in the future and I want to make sure the person is who they say they are and they have a suitable home (no hoarding, unsafe environment, etc...) When I am fostering a dog I put a lot of time money and my heart into that dog. My goal is to find it a permanent, forever home....it's kind of hard to make that determination without some sort of thorough process.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• And I agree with another poster, you can still adopt. There are high kill shelters everywhere who are far less thorough in the adoption process because the alternative is certain death.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2011

• It's not. They're trying to make sure that dog doesn't come back to them. Or go to be gassed

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2011