Do you believe in reincarnation?

Although I am an atheist, (I do not believe in any deity, creator, designer, etc...), I do believe that the energy of our bodies survives after death, and could possibly be reborn into another body. My five year old made a statement the other day that got me thinking perhaps he was remembering a past life. Here's what he said,

"You know in the past, I thought that the future would be ugly, because of all the buildings." (his exact words)

I asked him if he thinks the world is ugly today, and he said "No, it's still beautiful."

What do you all think? And have your children made statements that made you stop and think?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 2:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that all our soul's energies go back into a big reservoir of souls, like raindrops return to the ocean, and new souls are created out of that energy.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 7:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• by the way, my step son (who is 12) was with us, and being that his mom never allowed him to explore anything other than Christian beliefs, he tried very hard to rationalize what my son said. He asked when in the past, and all my son said was "before we were born". So then my step son tried to pin him down to, 12 years ago, 4 years ago, when in the past, but of course being that my son is only 5, he doesn't really view time in the same way we do, so he couldn't answer in the way my step son wanted.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I believe in what I call 'rebirth' as opposed to reincarnation- that our essential life energy is reabsorbed into the universe and reused. This differs from reincarnation in the sense that classic reincarnation involves some immortal 'self' that changes incarnations like changing a set of clothing- rebirth does not require a constant 'self' but is rather the movement of energy that is always changing. Can we remember past lives? I personally can't- which proves absolutely nothing!

When one of my nephews was younger, he often insisted that 'a long time ago' he lived in the country and had to fetch water from a well in the ground. He also insisted that his another family member was there with him, and that she looked different but it was still her. Things that make you go hmmmmm....
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes I do.
    PurpleDawn

Answer by PurpleDawn at 2:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I do believe in the reassignment of energy after death. It may not be one body to another...but from one life form to another.

My 8yo has always blurted out things that just drop my jaw. She is very intellectual and will sometimes talk of "the past" and things that happened before she was born. I encourage that kind of self-awareness.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• yes I do believe in past lives or reincarnation,,,I have had dreams where I have been in another lifetime and it feels so real when I wake up , I think about it and feel that I really was there at that time period. My son has also made statements that tell me he has had past lives and so has my husband. My son said he saw his sister in a dream where she was dressed like an egyption and he was her slave, lol,,, he said he had the head wrap on and she looked like cleopatra, he is 20 now but he told me this many years ago. I believe in metaphysics, if you know someone in your life now, you knew them in a past life as well, just in a different capacity,,, its all energy. we are made up of energy. My opinion of course except for the metaphysic part that I studied in college. hope this helps you to either believe or not to believe that is always our choice in life.
    katandtysmom

Answer by katandtysmom at 2:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I believe in it. I believe in it as you described, our energy remains and goes on to the next life to learn whatever lessons we have set for ourselves to learn,etc.

My 4 yr old says some interesting things but not like your child did. Mine talks about events that he acts like happened to him(like fire) but never have and he brings up names of people we've never heard of before nor do we know anyone with that name near us,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Sounds like your son is a wise old soul.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes I do. I also believe in reincarnation not just into a human but also animals/plants etc..
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 3:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009