Do you leave you kids in the car when you run in to a convenient store?

My MIL told me about a story she had seen on the Dr. Phill show . A mother was arrested and handcuffed and charged with abandonment for living her son in the car while her and her daughter walked to a put money (that her daughter saved all year long) in on of those tins where the people stand in front of the store with the bell to take donations. She wasn't that far away she could still see her child. what do you think ? do you do this ? did you see this episode?

stayathomemama3

Asked by stayathomemama3 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• You never know what could happen when you leave your child in the car alone...even if it's only for a second. The child could play with the gears and start the car, someone could snatch your child, your child could lock you out of the car if you left your keys in the ignition. It's just not worth the risk. I say take your children in with you or find a sitter and leave them at home.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I saw it. In her case she could see the car and I don't think she should have been arrested. If you can't see the car then I would take my child out even if it is just for a second.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 2:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have done it. I am so sick of mothers (and other people) bashing about it. If you are near and can reach the child in a second, I see no problem (especially if they are older children). This gets discussed to death, though, and it can get pretty out of control.

My motto is and always has been, as a parent, to use your best judgment. You can "feel" when something is wrong or dangerous. Go on the instinct.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i do with my teens
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I don't leave my son in the car ever. I personally don't think its a good idea. I have been tempted to a few times to run inside and pay for gas or something but i never have. One lady who lives in my town drives around all the parking lots looking for children so she can call DHS. We live a small town and she doesnt have much of a life.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I leave my daughter in the car when I am pumping gas, or throwing out some garbage or something. But if I am going to be more than a couple of feet away she comes with me. Especially if I go into a store. I would never leave her in there just to run into the gas station. My SO did this one time and I bitched him out.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• good for you lilbit. let me ask what ages you guys are referring to?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I would never ever ever ever leave my child for one second in a car alone. You hear such horrible stories in the news: car jackings, kidnapping, etc. There is a reason it is illegal and I think people should get into trouble for it. To me, it is just plain laziness.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 2:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think the daughter was 6 7 8 some where in there and the son was 18 -2 iam not sure he was younger
    stayathomemama3

Answer by stayathomemama3 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• back in the 70's we got left in the car alone all the time. There are no more car jackings or kidnappings today than there were back then. People just buy into the media frenzy and become paranoid because that is what our news has trained us to do.

Like I said, use your judgment. Leaving a rambunctious toddler in a car alone is probably not a good idea because of the trouble they can get into. But an older, responsible child may be better suited to sit and wait the few seconds for you to return.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009