How can I teach my 4 yr old to blow his nose!! He sniffs the mucus in as opposed to blowing out. It's so frustrating.

phillymom49

Asked by phillymom49 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tear up some tissue into little pieces and have fun blowing it across a table without opening your mouth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. I have to tell her that I will give her a Hersey Kiss if she blows real hard for me. What I do is I put her finger under my nose and let her feel the air and then we practice together while looking in the mirror. It took some time to get her to do it, but what a relief.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Hold a tissue near his mouth and have him blow into it from his mouth. Then tell him to keep his mouth closed and blow into the tissue out of his nose. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 2:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Really good ideas, i've been wondering the same thing but never thought to ask!
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• OMG I am in the SAME boat!! When he gets really congested he has already learned to hock it up in the bathroom....every morning he'll do this. WHY?? I beg and plead with him to just blow his nose, ughh I hate yucky noses! I am ready for the warmer weather and goodbye to congestion and colds :)
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 3:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• These are great answers im having the same problem with my 3 y/o daughter.
    steffieee116

Answer by steffieee116 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009