Holding him to much???

Hi! My son is now 8 months old he is our little joy! We tried so hard to have him and then in the end nearly lost him...Now I never put him down we cosleep and I feed him sitting on my lap. He will play with toys a little bit on the floor but then he cries until I pick him back up. I am SAHM so I have time to hold him and baby him but I am starting to worry that he is getting needy. I want him to do what is best for him. Our Doctor said you can't hold a baby to much, but the constant crying when he is put down is worrying me. Thank's for the input!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal for your child to act like this. You're his mom, center of his entire universe. For almost a year he was a part of your body, and being alone is completely foreign. He WILL branch out on his own, without intervention, eventually. He just has to "test" you for a little while to make sure you're always going to be there for him.
    Anonymous

• You can't hold him too much. Hold him as much as you like. You didn't ask, but the co-sleeping might run into a problem later on, so I'd try to move away from that, but that is just my own thought.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• He is just spoiled, that is why he doesn't want to sit when you put him down. lol Mine is the same way. I agree with your doc, you can never hold a baby too much. Remember, they will only be this small once. When he is able to walk, you won't be able to hold on to him for a second because he will be on the go. So, enjoy him now before it is cruising about on legs and getting into absolutely everything!

Remember one very VERY important thing, he is your baby, and it is up to you how to raise him and what t do with him. You are his mom and you will always know what is best for your little one!
    wintertyme

Answer by wintertyme at 2:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I agree to a point. I think holding him is great, and im sure you two have a great bond. But eventually he is going to have to learn to play and explore...thats how they learn. Try playing in the floor with him stay close by and encourage him to do things on his own. I know he's still pretty young but you dont want him growing up thinking he needs mommy for everything.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I too have the exact same situation on my hands! I worry about that every day when I'm constantly picking my son up! He doesn't even like to be on his own in his 129 dollar exersaucer! He's very clingy and we did all the same thing's as you did. I have decided to put him in his chair to feed him now, I'm just going to slowly start showing him how to be independent..I don't want to do it all at once and make him think he did something wrong lol, so my advice is to just let him cry longer for bouts of time...and try feeding him facing him with him in his chair! Sort of just test stuff, it's really good for them to learn some independence too!

Anonymous

• LOL. Dont worry! i am the same way with my son. He is 5 months and i hold him all the time. People always tell me to put him down because that isnt good to hold him all the time. My husband calls him a cry baby because as soon as we attempt to put him down he whines and cries. I dont worry about what other people say. I enjoy holding my baby and he is only a baby once. I co-sleep with him, too. I am not going to put him in his crib on until he is like a year. I know know but he is my first and I just love him to pieces.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Holding you baby is a good thing..but so is your babys ability to learn independent play. Start with tiny things like letting him go & play in the pack n play in the same room as you- but not with you hovering over him : ) Trust me you do not want to deal with a co-dependent child.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Just a thought here...is it cold on the floor? We have an old house and live in CT so it's pretty drafty down low now. Try sitting with him on your bed (you set near by so he doesn't roll off of course) and see if he'll entertain himself more comfortably. He's probably used to a lot of warmth because you hold him a lot. As for are you holding him too much...he's your baby you snuggle him all you want!! They're only little for so long :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009