New law restricts re-sale of kid's products Does anyone know about this?

A new federal law is raising concerns and questions nationwide and here in Austin. On Feb. 10, 2009 it will be illegal to re-sell any used children's products toys and clothing.According to the U.S. CPSC who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns. Toys, clothing and other items used by children under 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection. What is raising the ire of parents and business owners far and wide is what this will mean to clothing, toys and other children products made before February 10, 2009.Gary the owner of Once upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• oh my god. that is a trip. i can somewhat see maybe the toys cause of the lead but clothes. thats crazy.
    i usually only shop resale for kids clothes cause they go through them so quick.
    when is this supposed to start?
    Kristina.C

Answer by Kristina.C at 2:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I agree.. I cant seem to find any DETAILS on the CPSC website either??? It was on our news stations today.
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That is crazy. I think it is up to the buyer to check before purchasing anything in regards to the recalls. I buy a lot off of e-bay and I always check. I think this is crazy.

jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 2:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh my gosh!! I love buying used clothes & stuff for my kids, and love to shop at Children's Orchard whenever I get the chance. I haven't heard about this before now, but that will cause all kinds of problems! Whatever happed to the parents checking these things out before they buy them (or give them to their child)???? Heck, that would mean Goodwill, DAV, other thrift stores, and church "rummage" sales wouldn't be able to have kids' stuff. It sounds to me like stupid parents bought something without checking it out first, then their kid got hurt and they think they have to blame it on the place that sold it. (Reminds me of the person who sued McD's because their coffee was too hot!) Too many people (and lawyers) are too quick to sue about something they should've checked out first (or simply used some common sense!).
    kstchr

Answer by kstchr at 3:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I find it very hard to believe that CPSC doesn't have anything about it on their website yet, and they're the ones supposed to get this info. out! Their web addy is www.cpsc.gov for anyone who wants to check it out for themselves. Who knows, maybe they'll get it updated and the next of us to check will find some specifics??? I think I'll check on our news station's website too.
    kstchr

Answer by kstchr at 4:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i just emailed my senator and i am encouraging everyone to do so... speak up, dont let this end without a fight.. if you google your state senator you will get their email and i am trying to encourage the over 100,000 CM members to do so.. pass on the message that we dont want to go without a fight.. OUAC is my favorite baby store..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 5:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I personally never have found much of anything at resale shops beside the new bows and tights they sell. I think this is a little too serious of a law....why don't they allow shop owners to have clients sign a waiver instead?
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• What are our kids suppose to do go naked? There are many of us whose kids wear second hand clothes, especially now that times are getting hard for a lot of us.\ ith so many finding themselves taking lower pay or losing thier jobs completely.
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• February 10, 2009 has been dubbed "National Bankruptcy Day" as that is when this law is to take effect, forcing MANY small businesses to close their doors. The larger businesses--think Walmart will be able to afford to pay for lab testing of products.

http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

I wonder if OBAMA will do anything about it...he'll have about 3 weeks to at least stall if not kill the bill.  Let's see how much he REALLY cares about "Main Street!!!"

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Even clothes can have carcinogenic, lead, and other toxins that can cause serious problems.  A list of recalled items on a data base so that shop owners can type in some sort of code and see if that particular item was mass produced in a way that was considered unsafe may be a good idea. I do shop and consignment stores but I am super careful to go with only clothing lines I feel comfortable with and toys I know to be manufactured in a safe way or go organic.  Not everyone has that same level of knowledge or can afford to go with the better/safer lines.  Everyone deserves access and protection no matter what the level of income they have.  Americans are the largest consumers in the world.  If we expect and demand safe then we will get it.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009