I have an 8 month old who still wants to nurse everytime he wakes up in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what to do. He won't take a binki (never has) and he screams and screams until I finally give him and nurse him to sleep. I actually don't mind nursing at night but I don't want his teeth to decay (he already has 6 teeth). Any thoughts?

mommy2levi768

Asked by mommy2levi768 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son ate around 2am until we ditched the bottle at 11 mos. I think its pretty normal for them to still be waking up to eat at night at that age especially if your BFing
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Nursing at night is fine. It's formula and bottles that cause issues. My 12 month old still nurses to bed and I know SEVERAL momas on here who nurse their two and three year olds to sleep at night. Your fine. 8 months is still very young and he needs mamas milk to get big. Try cosleeping and nursing on demand. Remember, nursing on demand means all the time, not just during the day. The WHO and UNICEF reccomned nursing ON DEMNAD for AT LEAST 2 years.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I agree w/ pp...breast milk does not do the same damage to teeth as formula...my baby needed night feedings at least 1 until she was 11 months.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Breastmilk is (I believe) the only substance besides water that will not damage teeth.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Breast milk does not damage teeth at all. Period.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009