New law restricts re-sale of kid's products Does anyone know about this?

A new federal law is raising concerns and questions nationwide and here in Austin. On Feb. 10, 2009 it will be illegal to re-sell any used children's products toys and clothing.According to the U.S. CPSC who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns. Toys, clothing and other items used by children under 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection. What is raising the ire of parents and business owners far and wide is what this will mean to clothing, toys and other children products made before February 10, 2009.Gary the owner of Once upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Shopping

• If this is nation wide Ebay is going to be at a big loss also.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i've heard about it i don't see how they can do that. and someone said that it affects people selling things in yardsales too. if that is the case kiss my ass good by cuz i have yardsales every summer
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Ok, I read about this law also but I was under the impression that it was only in Florida. I couldn't find anything on it about being nationwide, or just anything on if for that matter. If someone finds something that will give more details please forward it along to me! Thank yoU!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You know I tried to look this up here in washington. There is nothing on it around here. But if it does happen here it will kind of suck cuz I surely cant afford new clothes. Not even for myself. And I have always boughten my kids clothes from the second hand stores and never had a lead poisioning issue. I dont think they should do that I think they should list a safe brand of clothes list to buy from instead of testing all the clothes. But I do understand they want to keep our kids safe. But its ok to use leaded pencils right? So Im really confused about this. Im gonna go to the consignment store today so Im gonna ask the lady who works there and see if she knows about the new law.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 3:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Wonder how long it will take to really go into affect though? Cause I live in a rural community, and some of the shops still haven't even heard of this cause it has not been talked about very much. So just wondering?
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's not going to affect people like they think. It's geared towards manufacturers and not resale. Consignment shops are in the clear
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• A friend of mine owns a consignment shop and she just found out about this and isn't sure what she is going to do. She's made several calls but no one seems to have an answer, the way the law is written it seems too broad. I hope she doesn't have to close, I kind of like my commission checks and the great discounts
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 9:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Our Freecycle group moderator just sent out an email about this too, I guess it may be affecting Freecycle? But I can't argue with it, all in all I think it is a good thing. If they want to try to regulate yard sales though, that's taking it too far. People have to be able to buy second-hand clothes somewhere if they are financially challenged (I know, I've had to shop consignment and thrift quite often and often find really good deals there). But for me its great to know that someone is taking the lead threat seriously.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:07 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I got this website from Jan. 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM by gypsy_rose
    posted to The CafeMom Newcomers Club

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html#whatsnew
    This might be more information.

JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

Our attorney said the products we recieve in our thrift shop will not be affected. By the time the donations trickle down to us they will have already been tested. Yeah!! we are in the clear.
    crysann1974

Answer by crysann1974 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2009