Does any one else have, or know anyone who has

Hepatitis C? I'm pregnant with #2 and when I went to my second doctors appointment she told me she tested for Hepatitis C and it came up positive. She also said that not very many OBGYN's test for this. They took more blood to double check and I guess I will know for sure at my next appt. I just think it is so strange. I have no idea how I could have gotten it, and when I donated blood they didn't pick it up, although they did get a false positive for Hepatitis B. I have only slept with two, but it says that its rare for Hepatitis B to be sexually transmitted. Even so, the first I slept with was a virgin, and the second is my hubby and the only other woman he slept with was a virgin. It's said that its mostly passed through blood, by sharing things like toothbrushes or razors, but I have only done so with family, and none of them have it. I'm just so upset :( I don't want to have a disease.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Health

• my first boyfriend had Hep C, and his doc assured me that it is rarely passed through sexual contact. My bf received it from his father, who got it from a transfusion after a car accident. This was all in the 1980s of course, before they tested for hep c in donated blood. But it is almost ALWAYS passed by blood. I have been tested many times for Hep C and do not have it, so I wouldn't worry that your hubby is the one who gave it to you. I would suspect it came from some sort of blood contact. I don't know where you work or what you do, but if you work in a place that has contact with customers or clients, you may want to do some research into their cleanliness practices. I would also, just for safety if you already haven't, get your children tested. If you haven't yet, they may be the ones who got it initially and gave it to you...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 6:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I could be wrong but I believe Hep C is passed through bodily fluids. If you do have it the chances of finding where you got it are pretty slim. It could even be from something like you ate out and the cook went to the bathroom and didnt wash his hands...EWWW
    Anonymous

• I worked in a mental health facility where we had two long term patients with Hep C. We had to be very careful when handling personal care and some medical care so that it was not passed on...so sex is not the only way to expose yourself to it. There is a lot of information through this link: http://www.hepc-connection.org/Page/149.aspx that actually says Hep C is not easily transmitted through sex. The patients I worked with had both had it for years with little real effect on them. Best of luck to you!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I had a brother who had Hep C. It got it through drinking all of the time. He lived for years after finding out he had it. But also found out he had it in later stages. There is a few test out that can cure it I believe. Also you can get false pos. for it. So I will be praying for you and your family.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I've got all the information on it. I just don't know how I could have gotten it. I'm praying for a false positive. BTW, it is NOT spread by sneezing, hugging, coughing, sharing eating utensils or drinking glasses, food or water, casual contact. You can get it from sex with an infected person, if you've had multiple sex partners, your mother had it when she gave birth to you, you lived with someone who had it and shared items such as toothbrushes or razors that may have had blood on them. I looked up more and that said its not often that its spread at birth or during sex. "If you have one steady sex partner, there is a very low chance of giving HCV to that partner through sexual activity, and you do not need to change your sexual practices" I am married. --OP
    Anonymous