What do you think of combining your childrens B-day parties?

I have 2 boys that will celebrate their 4 and 2 year B-day's only about a month apart. I am thinking about combining the parties into one so family and friends don't feel overwhelmed with 2 parties within a month from our family. Do you think this is ok to do for the children?

Cashewmom

Asked by Cashewmom at 3:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• this may sound rude but if it were me the family and friends would have to deal with it. it is nice that you are trying to make it easier for them,but the main concern is to make it SPECIAL for your children. that is their day and their day only at least it is around our house. we combined my daughter and my stepsons bday one time when the were like10 and 8 and it was a disaster i felt so bad for both of them will never ever do that again
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes I do. My sons were three years and 3 days apart, and we always had the family and friends party combined whenever the date was convenient for the party. We also had small remembrances on the actual days for just sons and husband and myself. A small cake and the child's favorite meal. It stretched out the fun.

Answer by Bmat at 3:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My boys are 5 years apart, but their birthdays are 6 days apart. We always do a combined birthday party and they seem to like it. If they ever don't we'll have to cross that bridge later... but the 4th of July is exactly in the middle of their b-days (July 1 and July 7) and it's hard enough getting everyone together for 1 party in the midst of BBQs and camping trips at that time of year... hopefully they won't mind sharing for many years to come lol.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• hoestly at the young of an age i dont think they would handle it well. or at any age for that matter. your birthday is YOUR special day not to be shared with anyone else unless its THIER birthday as well. and since thier so young, and kids get so jealous, it sounds just like a disaster waiting to happen.
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Yes I have done this with my children. They are 3 years apart, but their bdays are a week apart, make sense....

Anyway no problems though, the kids were fine with it. I grew up as a twin, so for me too, the idea of sharing a party is no big deal.

Then like someone said on their actual bday we still do something small and special for them.

I am pregnanty with my third who is due within a month of their bdays...so I guess another one to add to the fun ;)
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 4:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I think it depends on your kids, your family, and your needs. You do what you have to do. If the kids aren't going to make a big fuss about it, then do it. I think we cater a little too much to kids in our society. It isn't a bad thing for kids to learn to share, even if it means sharing birthday parties. You can always tell them that if it is going to be a major problem for them to share then there won't be a party. I am guessing they would decide to share at that point.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Absolutely. My daughter is 2 and my son is 8. Their birthdays are 2 weeks apart. We hold one family party in the middle so our family doesn't have to travel down to our house twice. Now that our son is older, we usually let him have a few friends over on his actual birthday weekend to celebrate and we'll do the same when our daughter is a little older.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 2, 4, and 5 and all celebrate their birthdays in the same 4 weeks. We combine them and they enjoy it! On their actual birthday we do something a little special just for them as a family...but only have one big party :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• One BIG party for mine. They are 1 year 2 weeks apart. But we do Bday pancakes ON the actual day. I color them pink or blue and add whip cream(something I NEVER do otherwise) and there is a candle and we sing and take a picture!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We do a big Summer Pool Party BBQ that celebrates both my younger kids birthdays (they are 1 and 3) and hubby's and mine. Of course only the kids get presents but so far at least they don't mind at all. When they get older we will continue this for the family party and allow them to have a separate small party with friends near their actual birthday.
    dottieanna29

Answer by dottieanna29 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2009