• In the Spotlight:

I have a 7 year old granddaughter that has been put on 10mg of przac. I'm concerned any body out there have a child on this kind of meds. Mary

she has an angeer probalem accodring to her parents. I'm worried that this drug is nnot neccessay for some one so young Help help

duck6

Asked by duck6 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in About CafeMom

• her body is to little for drugs. hell my ol' mad is bi-polar but he dosen't even take his meds cause they make him "not care".
    now my 2 1/2 year old is adhd and more than likley bi-polar too and he WILL NOT take meds. they will make you something you are not. and her only being 7 and not even knowing what or who she is yet.
    all she needs is love and PLENTY of attention. kids with problems like that just need extra.
    NO PILLS.
    Kristina.C

Answer by Kristina.C at 3:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Both of my boys ages 7 & 5 are autistic and I REFUSE to put them on ADULT medications for their anxiety and/or behavior issues. We are working all day, every day and with a series of therapists and behavior management programs to WORK with our children and TEACH them what is acceptable behavior and repercussions for their bad behaviors. IF, we have to put them on meds it will be a LAST resort. I know parents with autistic children who started their children on similar meds at age 2 1/2!!!!

My feeling, if they are not harmful to themselves or others, if they have not lived through a traumatic life altering experience, then they do NOT need medication for ANXIETY or DEPRESSION when they are under the age of 16. They DO need intervention, and therapy. I consider it a "cop out."

But as for your granddaughter, her doctor prescribed them, so it really is between the parents and her what they feel is best.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• thats the word i was lookin for. a cop out. its there way of not dealing with the issue.
    Kristina.C

Answer by Kristina.C at 3:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That is ridiculous. I can not believe they would put a child so young and meds like that. Child abuse in my opinion.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I am lucky enough not to be faced with this decision, but I've read some articles about putting kids on powerful meds, and it's made me think that it's not always safe to assume that the parents are looking for a "cop out" instead of working with their kids, the school, etc. Chances are that they've tried all those other things first and the meds are their last resort. I can understand having reservations about this, but I think if the Dr. is working in the child's best interest it's worth a try.
    kstchr

Answer by kstchr at 4:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I'm assuming they've been speaking to a professional and this is not just the pediatrician giving out a prescription. If the pediatrician gave it, I'd definitely have second thoughts....however, if she's been evaluated and they've tried everything else.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• insane I wouldn't let that drug anywhere near my child. That's crazy. I'm sorry but I believe there are other ways to control a child. Good luck!!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Those kinds of drugs are not safe for a child so young. Would her parents be willing to try a natural approach? Like diet? Check out the Feingold diet. www.feingold.org It has helped my 6 year old immensely. (ADHD) But the diet, which is an elimination diet (no artificial dyes, sweetners, preservatives) Many people see a big difference with this approach. Good luck. And you are right to be concerned.
    Ginny032

Answer by Ginny032 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• there goes my ADD, I didn't finish my thought. I meant to say "but the diet........helps autism, ADHD, ODD and other behavioral issues." :) Please forgive me.
    Ginny032

Answer by Ginny032 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• That's insane! I was put on Prozac at 14 and it made ME crazy, and I was 14!!! Poor little girl... She needs to be taken off, a 7 year old cannot have a bad enough anger problem to the point that drugs are the only thing that can fix it, and if she does, there is something underlying that really needs to be taken care of...

Anonymous