we just can't seem to get our three 1/2 year old grandson potty trained

He does well at bedtime and first thing in the morning, but during the day, it is literally hit and miss. We have tried jelly bean rewards, big boy toy rewards (playdough), letting him pick out big-boy underwear, etc. The problem is, his father watches him @ 50% of the time and is not really persistant about potty training (I'm not sure he even really tries with him). Should we just let this go and trust him to tell us when he's ready? His 2 year old sister is doing really well at it and he cheers her on, but really isn't interested for himself

Texasholdem_Nan

Asked by Texasholdem_Nan at 3:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My grandkids stay with me for a week and go home potty trained or mostly at least. I have been very lucky. With my granddaughter it was washing her hands. Well playing in the water. LOL She was 18 months old. I would let her play for about 15 minutes or more if she went to the bathroom. Otherwise it was a quit wash and no play. With my grandson it was candy. Still working on it he 2 1/2 . I have a bucket with a variety like small toosie rolls, now or laters. It was left overs from halloween. He liked being able to dig through to find the right peice. LOL We cut out all other snacks. Each kid is differant. Don't push to hard or they will refuse altogether. The hard part is when they go home and they don't keep up with it. You will need to get the dad to stay on top of it also. Good luck.
    passiontime4u

Answer by passiontime4u at 3:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Boys are usually slower than girls and the inconsistency is most definitely what's holding you up. I would not put pressure on the child. Just make sure you use underclothes that he will definitely feel uncomfortable in when they become wet or soiled.

I personally am fond of the cheerio game. Sink the oats! Making potty time fun and positive is your best bet. Praise, love and hugs is better than big boy toys in my estimation.
    Simplycj

Answer by Simplycj at 6:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You can take him to Disney to reward him, but he WILL NOT do it until he decides to. I tried all I could with mine, and like you we danced around it, but it was never consistent. She'd do great all day, then the next she'd have accidents all day! Then, one day she literally woke up one morning and decided to go in the potty every single time and it was done! She was 3--both of mine were not consistent completely until they were 3. Don't sweat it!
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009