3 year old language

My 3 y/o daughter has a potty mouth. It's not the simple shut up stuff anymore, for the last year now she has been saying "fu**" and I've been trying extremely hard to break this but nothing is working. Is there anything anyone knows I can do

via86

Asked by via86 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Replace the word with a new one. Like if she is saying OH F**k just say, oh ducky doo. And leave it at that. If she is getting attention for it she will keep on saying the bad words but if she is making funny sounds and such it is easier for her to replace. Just think of silly sayings or a word you would rather her say. And as time goes on tell her no, and make her repeat your word after she says that. Like my daughter has gotten into the habit of saying oh my God. I really don't like that. So I replaced it with Oh my Goodness. And after awhile she just picked up on it. And doesn't say it anymore! Hope that helps ya out some.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My 4 yr old has gotten into the habit of telling his toy army men that they are "pi$$ing him off". I can't be but so mad becaause I'm sure he heard me say it b 4. I just gently told him that that was a bad word and from now on we will say you're "making me angry" when we are upset with someone. If you hear it again don't get mad just warmly remind her of the "new term" and try to ignore her mess ups. The more attention we draw to things like that the more they want to say it. It's also a heads up that we as parents need to better mind our own potty mouths! lol Good luck.
    phillymom49

Answer by phillymom49 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You also need to find the source of this language and deal with that - whether it's TV, family members, or whatever. Also, you need to teach him alternative words to use. "We don't use that word...you can say...instead." One momma tells her kids, "That's a garbage word." and then they "spit" the word out of their mouth and "throw" it in the garbage. But don't make a big deal out of it...just give them an alternative.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It's also a heads up that we as parents need to better mind our own potty mouths! lol Good luck.

lol yeah I've been trying to keep my mouth incheck but my husband on the other hand, that's the killer he doesn't know when to stop. He would make a sailor blush. I'm worried that my 1 y/o will eventually catch on.
    via86

Answer by via86 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Try to keep those influences away from your child. Do not over react to usage of that language. Politely re direct to another more appropraite phrase, and let it go.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have a similar problem my son loves to say hell "what the hell is that", " what the hell are you doing" were the hell did it go". I drives me crazy!! The only way tha I got him to stop is to replace it with another word. Don't yell at them for saying it because then they know that they are getting noticed more for it. It will evetually stop. Hopfully sooner than later ha.
    broken0image

Answer by broken0image at 1:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009