Fenugreek...Does It Really Work?

I have had a very difficult time producing enough milk for my son. I know this, because even after he eats, he is still hungry. He sucks his fingers, and "roots" around on my chest looking for more milk. If he doesn't get it in a few minutes, he gets very upset and screams and screams. I have trie pumping like every 15 - 20 minutes inbetween feedings to try to get my body to produce more milk, but it just won't do it. I also don't think he is getting enough, because I don't feel like he has enough wet diapers during the day. If he has 5 in a single 24 hour period, we are doing really good, but 5 is a LOT for one day with him, so I really don't think he is getting enough milk.

I have heard that fenugreek is supposed to help up the milk supply. I just have a few questions.

Does it REALLY work?

Are there side effects?

How truly safe is it?

wintertyme

Asked by wintertyme at 3:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It works for some people, but not others. I would strongly recommend that you contact an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, they are specialists in lactation and can address the underlying problem. You can find a local IBCLC (in many cases covered by health insurance and is definably MUCH cheaper then having to buy formula and bottles) by going to http://www.ilca.org/falc.html.

Things that may cause a reduction in milk supply:
    * Scheduling
    * Pacifiers
    * Supplementing (even if it is BM in the bottle)

Give it some time, if he is still wanting to nurse put him back on the breast, even if he just at 10 min ago put him back on the breast. The more he is suckling the more prolactin you have in your system and the more milk you will make. That is one reason that I suggest that moms don't use pacifiers but use the breast as one instead. ((HUGS)) You can do this!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have tried that, and I still don't produce enough milk. I will let him nurse a second time for about 10 minutes each breast, or until he is done, and it doesn't seem to change.

I don't have regular health insurance, and I don't know if that IBCLC would be covered by medicaid.
    wintertyme

Answer by wintertyme at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• An IBCLC (if not covered by medicaid) will cost about 50-75 for her visit, having to supplement with formula (and possibly loosing your supply all together) can cost in the thousands. My best suggestion is for you to see an IBCLC!

Keep nursing on demand, typically they want to see 6 wet diapers in 24 hrs. 5 should be fine (not great) as long as his urine is not a dark yellow (should be pail yellow) and doesn't have a strong ammonia smell to it.

If he is physically active then things look good. You also want to leave him on the first breast until he is done to make sure that he is getting enough hind (fatty) milk.

Your doing a great job... you can get through this!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• it works for some but not me and it makes you smell like maple syrup
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• You can also try these: Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies I found this recipe at http://www.breastmates.co.nz/adv_lactation_boosting_cookies.html

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• also try mothers milk tea with the fenugreek. And make sure you are waking up in the middle of the night to breastfeed/pump as well.
    CutePreemieK

Answer by CutePreemieK at 7:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009