My baby is 4 1/2 months. i have recently started giving her about half a jar of baby food a day, starting one at a time, for 4 or 5 days to make sure there are no allergies. Well she had a reaction to bananas, and a nurse said i was not to give her anything but breast or formula for six months

but i have heard that it is okay to start at 4? any opinions or has anyone been told anything else? Now i am worried that i am doing something wrong, even though my mom, husbands mom, and baby sitter have all told me to give it to her even earlier, although i didn't. I waited until i felt she was ready, and she has taken to everything very well, except the bananas, which i know now not to give to her. I am just looking for some insight i guess? Please no rudeness!

december911

Asked by december911 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow! I think ths Momma needed support, not a debate. My ped says if your EBF to wait until at least 6 months before starting any solids. If you are FF you can give solids at 4 months if you feel the baby is ready (holds head up, doubled birth weight, etc). I'm not sure why the difference, although I do believe breast milk is the perfect complete food. I personally EBF and started rice cereal at almost 6 months. The same ped also told me at my DD 9 month check up that I could start her on whole milk. That's not gonna happen. I think you need to do what you think is best.
    Mommyx308

Answer by Mommyx308 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• We started our daughter at 4 months. My nephew and my niece got started at 4-5 months. I think that if she is doing well with the exception of bananas, just don't give anymore bananas for awhile. A lot of times with allergic reactions, the child will grow out of them. I did with chocolate.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The American Pediatric association recommends not starting any olids until6 months. Not all pediatricians or parents follow this and some say to start earlier. I personally am waiting. In the end, its got to be your decision. The risks are allergies and stomach issues due to an immature digestive system.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Babies should have nothing but breastmilk for at least six months. Babies guts are not fully closed and it is dangerous, no matter what people have said in the past, we know better now. Babies don't even NEED solids untill one year, breastmilk is enough.http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Due to current medical research, the recommendation is to not introduce solids until at least 6 months. During the first year of life BM or formula are the main source of nutrition (providing the most calories plus other factors), there for making solids experimental.

Hold off on the bananas and you can try again when she is older.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• you can start at 4months, thats absolutely ok and its actually recommended by every ped and midwife.

if your child is allergic to bananas then dont feed it anymore. which u dont do, so everything is alright :)

we fed our daughter mashed carrots at 4months. god how she loved that. :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• It honestly depends on your doctor. I started mine on foods at 4 months and he's fine. Some docs say 4 months, some say 6.
    Anonymous

• Well my Pediatrician must be a freak because she does not fit that "every" ped recommendation. She says 6 months or longer
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• m.robertson811 ,
    "you can start at 4months, thats absolutely ok and its actually recommended by every ped and midwife."

Wow, I know of NO midwife or ped that recomends solids before 6 months. Could you be any more misinformed? PLEASE stop spreading LIES, because I'm SURE you have not asked EVERY midwife and ped.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I believe the "older" way was 4 months.. and the "new" suggested time to introduce solids is 6 months or later due to allergies and they have found in studies that introduction to solids too early, is linked to obesity. <--that and eating Mickey D's right? LOL I have 4 kids, 2 of them I started solids at 4 months, and the two babies I have now will wait a bit longer.
    My MD said she is happy to meet people in the middle at 5 months.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 3:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009