Ice walking

Is there any special way to walk on the ice without slipping? This may sound stupid, but I'm new to living in the north. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing my snowboots or my cool boots, I still slip so I figure I'll just keep wearing my cool boots and at least I'll look good as I slide down the sidewalk. LOL. Seriously, my husband says if I try to walk carefully and take little steps, that's why I'll fall. I'm not sure what he means. I don't even want to go outside until Spring :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• YAKTRAX Walker Traction Device and they also sell these cleats that attach to your shoes or boots for traction. Search them up on google or amazon. I do my best to say inside in this weather!!!
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 3:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I live in texas and we dont get ice very often so I am no help there but I would like to know how because just this week when we actually did get ice i slipped all the way down the stairs and now my whole backside is bruised.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• All you need to do is walk with your feet farther apart. Good luck!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I also wanted to add that I don't recommend using the rubber things you put over your shoes with spikes on them because they can make you trip and because they ruin flooring and the last thing you want to do is either sit on the ice to take them off or try to balance on one foot and take them off before going in where ever it is your going.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• There is no walking on ice lol.... or driving either. But the best bet is to take little steps and kinda slide your feet. Or you could carry cat liter/sand with you and sprinkle it in front of you as you walk. I've lived in PA all my life and every year theirs a new bruise from me trying to walk on ice. On the upside though, it makes a great slide for your kids to play on as long as it's solid. We just did that today from the 1/2 inch of ice we got last night.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 4:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• i lived in Alaska for 3 winters & theres ice covering everything most of the year. also, i survived being pregnant in an ice storm that lasted 3 weeks, so i kinda consider myself an expert on ice walking haha. the best way is to take wider steps & heavy steps. wider steps help you keep your balance. heavy steps give you more traction. for some reason confidence goes a long way
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Walk flat footed instead of heel toe.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 7:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• In Oregon, where I grew up and just spent the holidays snowbound, we usually got ice instead of snow. Most people don't understand that snow and ice are completely different for traction purposes. I always used the heel first, then toe method myself, but maybe the flat-footed suggestion is better.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The cleats I had you stepped into and could just bend to put on and off, no need to sit or walk on floors. I would throw them on outside and take them off out there too. Where I used to live we had a steep driveway.. with the mail box all the way at the end. It was much nicer to WALK down the driveway instead of busting my butt!!
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 7:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009