Suddenly afraid of the bath?

My 2 year old has developed a sudden aversion to a bath. He used to love the bath, but lately all he does is scream and cry when its bathtime. The last couple of times I've had to get in the bath with him. Nothing happened in the tub that would bring on this behavior. He hasn't fallen or slipped under the water unexpectedly. He hasn't gotten hurt in the tub so why the sudden change? He will take a shower, but I don't want to always have to bathe with my son. Any suggestions?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Because in some small way his understanding of the world change. Maybe it just occured to him that when the water goes down the drain it must go somewhere...things don't just disappear. But where does it go? It looks dark down there so it must be scary...what would happen if he slid down the drain?

You never know what crazy things young children think about the world.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2011

• My oldest did that. It was sudden and a pain in the a__! He would scream and draw his knees up to his chin. We would just reassure him that he was going to be ok. DH would sometimes get in with him. Nothing helped but time.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2011

• It is very normal. Get in the tub with him

Answer by rkoloms at 10:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2011