Do you live anywhere near Flint or Detroit, Michigan?

Congratulations, on my news homepage today I read where Detroit is #1 and Flint is #3 for cities with the highest "misery index".
Is it really that bad, or do you like your city?

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't live in Michigan but one would think that the auto industry would, could and should give back to its community. I saw a documentary a while back about how awful the Flint area is and the auto industry does nothing to help. I live in coal country and while the industry gets a bad name, they sure do their fair share of charity for the communities.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• How do you rate your "misery index" where you live?1-10
    In our boring midwest town I would say it is a 4.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Oh gosh - Flint is awful! My husband is from there. I have not been back there since the mid 90's but he and our son went back last summer. He could not believe that the place was even worse - he said the pot holes were everywhere. They saw guys ripping metal off a parked bus to take to get money for it. ( this was a functioning bus - someone just picked the wrong place to park it) His parents have tried to sell their house for years - but the neighborhood has gotten so bad, and no one can sell, so their neighbors are all drug dealing renters. I will never go back there...
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• What the hell is a misery index?
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I hate it here! People are rude. They never use their signals when the drive. they have never heard of giving anyone good service--let me stop now. I could go on for hours!
    ksbondgirl

Answer by ksbondgirl at 4:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• 5
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• The misery index is a count or graph on how the residents feel about their city. It is then rated by crime, weather, jobs, transportation, housing. Things like that, and it all contributes to how happy or "miserable" the residents are. Flint Michigan now has the most miserable residents according to their own discretions.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• So that way you OP are always rude and miserable towards other members .
    Anonymous

• You must live in Flint. Stalk much?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I disagree anon 4:54. I find akinbottom2 a breath of fresh air. She has strong opinions, what's wrong with that? She says what she thinks and sticks to her story. You must not like honesty.
    Anonymous